Search the forum,

Discuss Guttering T-Joint in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

Firstly apologies for this not being directly a plumbing question, but I'm in a bit of a bind and I was hoping to find some help. It's more of a hobby/home project.

I have numerous lengths of 65mm square Floplast uPVC downpipe, and I am wanting to do a series of butt joints to create essentially a series of T-Joints and make a framework.

See attached sketch.

thumbnail_image003.jpg

The height of the upright you see on the right is about 900mm, and the width is about 500mm, so there is quite a span between joints. The frame will be outside 24/7 and regularly handled and moved so the joints need to be strong. It will be lifted by hand by the top of the right hand vertical.

I have tried using solvent weld on the edge of one tube and butt it against the flat on the adjoining piece. Although this was stronger than I thought it might be, it wasn't strong enough.

I've also tried reinforcing the joints with a series of 90° PVC angles and flat bar bridge plates across the joints. Although this helped, it doesn't look very neat.

I'm running a trial now using the solvent weld technique, and silicone sealant in the joint.

I've done some trials using essentially an extension which protrudes from the end of one tube and inserts into a cut out into the adjoining tube, which I have glued and riveted. This is the best joint I've had so far, although the cut out in the adjoining pipe is difficult to get neat with the tools I have.

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Also, eventually I will have to paint the frame, which needs to be durable. I have done some trials by scuffing the surface, rubbing with acetone and spraying. Although the finish looks ok, the durability is poor. I have some plastic adhesion promoter on the way so will give this a try, but would be interested in anyone's experience?

Once again, many thanks for reading, and I look forward to your comments.

Gray

Attachments

• thumbnail_image004.jpg
    thumbnail_image004.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 13
If you're prepared to spend a bit over £1 on a Floplast joint, here's a possible option -

Using fitting illustrated below, where pipe appears to fit into top, and fit outside bottom:
Cut out opposite sides of top section, invert and glue over the bottom horizontal section where you need the joint. Insert vertical and glue it in. Done.
😀

Attachments

• 89B96AA3-B168-4EE5-9C04-B710A6937620.jpeg
    89B96AA3-B168-4EE5-9C04-B710A6937620.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 9
If you're prepared to spend a bit over £1 on a Floplast joint, here's a possible option -

Using fitting illustrated below, where pipe appears to fit into top, and fit outside bottom:
Cut out opposite sides of top section, invert and glue over the bottom horizontal section where you need the joint. Insert vertical and glue it in. Done.
😀
Thanks for the reply. Funnily enough, I spotted these on the Screwfix site this morning. I am picking up a set tomorrow to do exactly what you suggested!!!!

Ben-Gee - THe frame is a "wing" used for dog agility. They come in a set of two, spanned by a pole. A point to note - the will be an angled bar connecting the two upright, I just haven't drawn it in yet.

Whilst I am on the information hunt - another problem I am going to come up against - at some point I will need to cut some 16mm square "holes" on one of the verticals to support the pole. I have looked at a mortice cutting bit, intended for a pillar drill, I just need to find someone with a pillar drill I can use. Alternatively, I can use a dremel.

Thanks again for your answers. Much appreciated!!

Ok, so sort of a high jump.

If it were me, for construction and stability, I would insert a bit of timber (cls) into the bottom horizontal and drill/screw through the downpipe into the timber.
Use stainless steel screws and penny washers, you’ll have ‘plastic coated wood’ which should be weather proof ( blob of silicone at each screwhole if you wish)

Ok, so sort of a high jump.

If it were me, for construction and stability, I would insert a bit of timber (cls) into the bottom horizontal and drill/screw through the downpipe into the timber.
Use stainless steel screws and penny washers, you’ll have ‘plastic coated wood’ which should be weather proof ( blob of silicone at each screwhole if you wish)
Hi. Many thanks for the reply. A high jump is exactly what it is. On my initial prototype, that's how my joint was. I did find it tricky to get a tight fit of the wood in the tube, had to chamfer the edges for the tube edge bend radius etc, which I needed for the screw to pull up against. I've since moved onto a rivited joint, which is similar in principle.

For the holes, perhaps some pilot drilled holes and mini hacksaw? DeWalt 20tpi Metal/Plastic Mini Hacksaw 12 - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/dewalt-20tpi-metal-plastic-mini-hacksaw-12-300mm-/465HJ?tc=JT7&ds_kid=92700055262507126&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=CjwKCAjw95yJBhAgEiwAmRrutBGhxX70t3aONe-f8794NorXP_6WqGH9RlDuE-pRy33mnaLZVtdqsxoCugQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hi there, thanks for all your messages.

A quick update. Basher's suggestion of using the socket worked a treat. Cut into the adjoining section, push the socket in and rivet through. Belt and braces using the solvent weld suggestion.

The holes are causing me a bit of an issue. THe hacksaw trick wasn't successful I'm afraid, probably more down to my skill. Next thing to do is get some steel box section, heat it, and see if i can melt through. THen will try a simple chisel.

Also getting a 16mm drill bit turned down on the lathe at work so it will fit in the hand drill. Drill a 16mm hole, then square the edges off with my trusty fake dremel tool.

The painting i think is sorted now - sand with grey scotch, acetone, adhesion promotor, plastic primer, paint. Just need to find somewhere now where I can buy job lots of sprays!!!!!

THanks for your continuing suggestions!!!

The holes are causing me a bit of an issue. THe hacksaw trick wasn't successful I'm afraid, probably more down to my skill. Next thing to do is get some steel box section, heat it, and see if i can melt through. THen will try a simple chisel.
Maybe use a square sheet metal punch? 19 mm is 3/4 inch:

I've not personally tried one of these punches on plastic drainpipe but I'm pretty sure they'd work well.

Haven’t read the whole post but saw you mentioning melting.

Can’t you heat up a bit of 15mm copper pipe and melt through. Will give you a near exact 16mm hole.

Reply to Guttering T-Joint in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
Our boiler is in the loft and I encountered a leak in a roof above our side extension store room which has transpired to be from the boiler condensate pipe. It was cracked at an elbow so the plumber we use has replaced this and hopefully all will be well with that joint. This later prompted me...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock