Search the forum,

Discuss Condensation inside Heat only boiler casing - a couple of questions. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've got a British Gas 330+ Heat only boiler and it displayed an F25 error (lack of water iirc) on Sunday. I read the manual and bled the radiators (1 rad had quite a bit of air) and topped the system up a little and sure enough I could then hear water flowing back into the boiler. I turned it back on but it then started showing an F11 error which the manual said related to the flow/return heating thermistor. I took the side and front casing panels off and could see the rear wall of the case had a large amount of surface rust and the return pipe had copper oxide where it passes under the heat exchanger.

I got a plumber out and he hadn't seen anything like it and recommended it be replaced but said in the short term that replacing the return thermistor should get it back up and running. He called me yesterday to say the part is no longer sold and he wouldn't fit a universal part. I did a search of my own and found that there is an official replacement thermistor and phoned Glow-worm part's department who confirmed it is a genuine part. I bought the part myself from the local Wolseley and removed the original thermistor. I cleaned up the section of return pipe, fitted the wiring to the thermistor and clipped it in place.

I refitted the front and side panels (but not the screws) and sure enough the boiler starts up 1st time. I've got the water flow temp set at 70° but I noticed that it would never get higher than 54°. The return pipe was also noticeably not hot either so I then bled the 2 valves above the boiler (which the plumber advised was sometimes necessary in a heat only system) and it seemed to help a little. After running it for some time I removed the panels and could see condensation was slowly collecting on the bottom of the case. I originally suspected a minor pin-hole on the return pipe but when I looked elsewhere I noticed up in the top right of the case, I could see it forming on the roof so it appears to be originating near the flue. I'm wondering it its condensate leaking (gasket issue perhaps?)

Does anyone know if this a known fault?

Also, one other question. When all the casing panels are fitted, the boiler's burn sequence starts and it burns for approx 10-15 seconds but then it ceases and the cycle repeats over and over and the reported water temperature never reaches the temp set on the boiler. However, I noticed that if the casing side-panel is removed, once the burner is on, its stays on continuously and the boiler does reach the correct water temperature. I cannot remember what the boiler burn sequence was like from when it was installed (back in 2010). Is the correct behaviour for a boiler to ignite, burn for a short duration and then stop or should the burner just stay on continuously until the temp is reached? I get the feeling that when the casing is on, the burner stays active until all the available air is used and then it cuts off whereas when the side panel is off, it has a constant supply of air.

I've been given a quote for a new Baxi 630 (any good?) and intend to get a replacement installed ASAP but I'm genuinely curious about the 2 issues above and would appreciate some thoughts from the experts.

Cheers

Sounds like your flue has failed this can be very dangerous please turn your boiler off and contact a GSI to get it replaced asap , baxi 630 is a good middle of the road boiler with a decent manufacturers warranty. Kop

Hi

We suggest you get a qualified plumber in to look at your problem.. someone who is gas safe registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensation inside Heat only boiler casing - a couple of questions. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock