Discuss Well That's Spoilt My Day. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
The continuation of the never ending bathroom.

It's been over a year in the planning, I did 6 days work prepping the room (everything moved, floor ripped up and lowered, stud walls etc etc etc), then the slate the customer bought on the internet turned up all scratched and new had to be sourced. Then they live in London and are only up here so often so it's been ongoing since early April. Fussy is not the phrase, but it's a high end bathroom and she wants it right. But turning up on a morning and finding 3 or 4 300 x 600 slate tiles that I've fitted the day before on the floor because they where too 'rough' or didn't like how the textures matched in with the rest wears a little thin.

Anyway the customer is always right, and I'm keeping track of time etc, but yesterday was first day back on the job due them being away, hurt my thumb at the weekend so decided to do some grouting (wish I hadn't because I can't move my hand today). Really fetched out the work and I was as pleased as punch, good feedback from customer that she was liking it.

Well gets up this morning and when I come downstairs there's a message waiting for me on the phone. "I am not sure about the tiling now the grout is in, the spacing looks even more out - flaws and the uneveness of the surfaces are quite bad. So I am considering removing them all and starting the tiling process again. I need the weekend to consider and get some other opinions. I don't think it's a good idea to do any further work at this stage so don't worry about coming over today. I will be in touch again to discuss it with you."

To say I'm a little cheesed off is the understatement of the century. All spacings were agreed before tiling commenced and the number of times we have had the 'slate is a natural product and there are a lot of variations with texture and thickness (even though it's supposed to be calibrated)'. There's nearly 40 square metres of the bloody stuff stuck on the walls, and it's well stuck.

I honestly want to turn around and say do one. It's going to be soul destroying removing all that work when there is nothing wrong with it, just because she doesn't like it now.

I had one like that some years ago. Totally soul destroying, I was glad when the job was finished.
Ended as a compromise though as custard eventually accepted that natural stone is by definition imperfect.

If your owed money i'd get squared up straight away and start the counter again from when you start pulling them off, or decide to walk. I suppose as long as your getting paid for it, your getting 2 jobs for the price of one!

As said, i would get paid for the work completed so far. Its not your fault she doesnt like it, she's got to understand its not like trying a dress on in a shop, you need to be paid!

Getting paid hasn't been a problem. Had 2 interim payments, only owes me a couple of days as it stands.

No photo's, camera on phone packed in a while ago. Treat myself to a little digital camera, but got it home to find out it needs a memory card.

I worked for a builder a few years ago when I was self employed, When working on his sites everything ran like clockwork everything was as on the plan no variations at all, Working in his ÂŁ4m mansion was a different matter it was a full refurb every thing came out all new in piped it all up was looking fantastic 4 weeks work and was going great, Then 1 morning "we have decided to change the style rads in the bedrooms change all the pipework to suit"
Then after that was done it was the toilet and bidet in the end I moved them 4 times the day the tiler tiled the floors was possibly the best day of my life as he was never going to rip up those exspensive tiles but I was wrong had to move it back to where they originally started.
It was very frustrating but he paid for all the alterations in the end it cost him about 8 days extra labour.

Slates are a nightmare, different thicknesses - shapes - no point in using spacers might as well do it by eye, and then grouting themselves a pain in the arse!

Well another messaage from her this morning (phone now off and left in van) 'having trouble getting grout residue off, bal are coming out next week to assess, no point in doing anywork in the meantime, i'll let you know what they say'.

What a load of gonads. I was pedantic in cleaning. I was using 4 buckets of water at a time to make sure it was as clean as possible.

Well that's it I'm off to the pub for a bar meal with the missus and we are staying out. Sod the work (I have a valve to change in the morning) I'll think about it again on Wednesaday.

Like I said - slate are a mare to clean, had one customer cleaning the tiles for a week or so after - they just don't seem to come to a shine, natural stone I told him.... They do what they want.

Well another messaage from her this morning (phone now off and left in van) 'having trouble getting grout residue off, bal are coming out next week to assess, no point in doing anywork in the meantime, i'll let you know what they say'.

What a load of gonads. I was pedantic in cleaning. I was using 4 buckets of water at a time to make sure it was as clean as possible.

Well that's it I'm off to the pub for a bar meal with the missus and we are staying out. Sod the work (I have a valve to change in the morning) I'll think about it again on Wednesaday.

I feel your pain. I've been there. If she only owes you a couple of days as you said, then walk away mate. Seriously. She's a head case and will never be happy. I've been there, but been in too deep to get away/ I'd have happilly kissed goodbye to a couple of days money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Well That's Spoilt My Day. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, I fix what I can around the house myself and have fixed a few toilets but I need help with this one. This toilet keeps running and stopping...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Vokera 15 vhe boiler and all has been running well for the last 6 months since moving in up until a few weeks a go. Boiler throws up...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have just joined, after being pushed into some DIY plumbing. Here is my first plumbing DIY effort. I had a cistern lever that...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock