Discuss Weak Flush, Wierd Toilet Design? Help Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cat Edwards

Hi All,

Been reading a lot on here but haven't been able to find the answer so I think I have an unusual toilet design which is causing my problem.

Ok, So I bought a toilet on Ebay (second hand) and a new cistern, (re-done whole bathroom so completely new install)

Installed the toilet and the cistern everything seemed fine, but it wouldn't flush one piece of paper down. Did the check that I had seen on here, where you time how long it takes the cistern to empty with and without the toilet attached, exactly the same both times (9 Seconds)

We then inspected the toilet closer and noticed there was what I can only describe as an overflow hole before the hole that water is supposed to go through to go round the pan. This hole is lower than the main one so nearly all the water goes down this before it even gets to the pan. This hole goes straight to the waste water doesn't go into the pan at all.

We temporarily plugged the hole up, reconnected it and the toilet flushed the paper.

So my question is, am I ok to permanently plug this hole, it is obviously there for a reason as it has been cast into the porcelain but what that reason is I don't know and I wanted to check before I start doing things I don't understand.

Anyone come across this before? Am I ok to do this?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thank You

Cat

Welcome to the forum! You have almost certainly got a double syphonic toilet bowl. There is supposed to be a part that goes into the bottom of the syphon. It is called an Airex or a Bomb because it resembles a bomb shape. It has a small domed washer that fits dome upwards of the stem. Without it your toilet will never work even near right.
What make is your toilet? The Airex needs to fit the syphon properly, so you might need to have both a syphon & an Airex.

Hi Cat. Welcome to the forum. I may have misunderstood but it sounds to me like you have a siphonic pan. If that is the case you will need a siphon and siphonic aspirator. Both of which can be ordered from toolstation. The aspirator fits up inside the siphon. It might be helpful if you could put some photos on a online photo hosting account and post up the links for us all to see.

The siphon here is available in several heights. I personally always fit the 7.5"

Siphon
Aspirator

It looks like Best has bested me and beat me to the post but it looks like we both agree. Here is a link to a lovely little site explaining how siphonic pans (and other toilets) work

Hey guys

The toilet is from Cascada bathrooms its called polo. Sorry but it won't let me post a link

But it doesnt have a double trap so I am a bit confused.

Also, I googled the aired bit and there is definitely nothing in there looks like this

Thanks
Cat

Hey guys

The toilet is from Cascada bathrooms its called polo. Sorry but it won't let me post a link

But it doesnt have a double trap so I am a bit confused.

How do you know it isn't a double trap? The base of the bowl will be higher than in a normal pot. (Water will be not as deep down)
The Airex was perhaps missing as you bought it second hand.

I know its not a double trap because from underneath you can see everything, the toilet is at my holiday rental so I will try to get a picture tonight to show you.

Stupid question but are all airex's the same size?

Thank you

Hey,

Just took some photos, but it tells me I'm not allowed to post URL's because I'm new. How do I show you pictures?

It deffinately has one u bend because when I put my hand down you can see my fingers the other side when you look down. I have taken a picture to show this, a picture of the whole loo from the back and a picture of the tube bit.

Thanks for your help, and sorry I couldn't upload the pictures I took.

Cat

I was unable to post pictures because the forum won't allow me to.

It deffinately has 1 U Bend because when I put my hand down the bowl bit you can see my fingers the otherside when you look down the outlet bit. Sorry for my lack of technical terms.

I have taken three photos, one of the toilet from the back, one where you can see my fingers to show there is only 1 bend, and one of the pipe bit.

Am I ok to plug the hole now as its not a syphoning pan? Is it just a terrible design.

Thank You for your help

Cat

If you are certain it's not a syphonic toilet then it sounds like a faulty cast pan. Either skip it or do as you say and plug the hole.

Hey,

Just took some photos, but it tells me I'm not allowed to post URL's because I'm new. How do I show you pictures?

It deffinately has one u bend because when I put my hand down you can see my fingers the other side when you look down. I have taken a picture to show this, a picture of the whole loo from the back and a picture of the tube bit.

Thanks for your help, and sorry I couldn't upload the pictures I took.

Cat

use photobucket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Weak Flush, Wierd Toilet Design? Help Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low...
Replies
Views
A few years ago I installed a wall hung toilet pan in my last house which did not flush well when disposing of waste solids. The water would rise...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled...
Replies
Views
C
Hello My toilet flush is busted. The tank takes about 10 seconds to empty and it’s kind of showers down from the middle, rather than that sudden...
Replies
Views
Chris P
C
T
Hi all, seeking advice on my toilet. (Layman here, please be gentle with me.) When we flush the loo upstairs, it flushes fine (therefore assuming...
Replies
Views
Back