Discuss WB heat cells cleaning tools... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Do you guys actually use these? Or just use the brushes you have on van. I see the junior has a baffle removal tool, can you get these out without it? It says in the manual that the baffles do get stuck and so you will need this tool. Not cheap at £27 though

Baffles will come out normally, though its not fun if the boiler is hot!

I tend to use a stiff bristled flue brush and loads of water to rinse through.

cheers for the advice. This boiler is 5 yrs old and if the fan pressure is within range, would you still service the cell

They are a horrid job even if they are a little warm as the inner cell is still really toasty. I've always managed to reach them by hand.

if fan pressure is in range then I probably wouldn't worry too much about it if you do make sure you've got the gaskets to put it all back

They are a horrid job even if they are a little warm as the inner cell is still really toasty. I've always managed to reach them by hand.

if fan pressure is in range then I probably wouldn't worry too much about it if you do make sure you've got the gaskets to put it all back

When you say Gaskets, do you mean Gasket? Just the one that goes from fan to cell?

joint = gasket here :)

Electrodes only if needed, carry them on the van, as the detection electrode seems to get burnt away fairly rapidly (same with cdi)

They're pretty much the same electrode and gasket set aren't they?
on the round hex(commonly called the kebab)yes,same gaskets and electrodes,on the square wb5 hex though different electrodes and a bit easier to service,gasket not normally needed

Be carful u don't loose end of your finger
0a3de1961e15f11ae2d4b8d98a4d1a83.jpg

If it's not a kebab

on the round hex(commonly called the kebab)yes,same gaskets and electrodes,on the square wb5 hex though different electrodes and a bit easier to service,gasket not normally needed

So the Greenstar CDI you don't need to change the gasket on the front every time you remove it? Only when needed. It does say in the MI'S that you need to hey

So the Greenstar CDI you don't need to change the gasket on the front every time you remove it? Only when needed. It does say in the MI'S that you need to hey

no,most i work on are ok,worcester tech confirmed when i asked only renew if needed,obviously good idea to have one on the van though

On the heat exchanger shown in the picture above there is normally a thin metal plate in there. I have had 3 lately that have the plate missing. Anyone else had this? I am now wondering if there's not supposed to be a plate in some of them or if it's a manufacturing fault as one of the ones with no plate was only 2 years old and hadn't had a service.

On the heat exchanger shown in the picture above there is normally a thin metal plate in there. I have had 3 lately that have the plate missing. Anyone else had this? I am now wondering if there's not supposed to be a plate in some of them or if it's a manufacturing fault as one of the ones with no plate was only 2 years old and hadn't had a service.

not plates in all of them IIRC lower kw boilers dont have them

The thing to keep in mind about the seals is a (kebab) WB3 seal is mainly a premix air/gas seal, not sealing combustion other than around the electrodes. Pre mix air/gas leaks don't need much thinking about other than don't let them happen. The seal on the CDi clasic is a combustion seal so I think you can apply a bit of on site common here.
The seal on the clasic that needs carefull attention is the electrode seals, like the kebab seal never re use it. On kebab heat exchangers I now replace electrodes and therefore seals as a matter of routine every five years due to the increased erosion of the ionisation electrode. This has got worse over the last few years, right or wrong I put this down to the increase in sulphur in mains gas.
This obviously has an impact on cost but if you are servicing as per MIs you have four years of tring to look honest, hard working and professional before you ever get a spanner out the bag.

If you have a concern about a kebab seal for instance you have a new customer, with an older boiler use your FGA to check for hot spots around the clamp plate and electrodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also worth remembering the burner seal on the CDi classic Hex gets in a poor way and always need replacing when the burner is removed (nearly every one i've seen has cracked through on the corner's

The thing to keep in mind about the seals is a (kebab) WB3 seal is mainly a premix air/gas seal, not sealing combustion other than around the electrodes. Pre mix air/gas leaks don't need much thinking about other than don't let them happen. The seal on the CDi clasic is a combustion seal so I think you can apply a bit of on site common here.
The seal on the clasic that needs carefull attention is the electrode seals, like the kebab seal never re use it. On kebab heat exchangers I now replace electrodes and therefore seals as a matter of routine every five years due to the increased erosion of the ionisation electrode. This has got worse over the last few years, right or wrong I put this down to the increase in sulphur in mains gas.
This obviously has an impact on cost but if you are servicing as per MIs you have four years of tring to look honest, hard working and professional before you ever get a spanner out the bag.

If you have a concern about a kebab seal for instance you have a new customer, with an older boiler use your FGA to check for hot spots around the clamp plate and electrodes.

When you say check for hot spots do you mean heat or co?

So I got a call out to a worcester with the kebab today. The PHEX was blocked but it had caused ribbing on the main cell. Called up worcester and they said it is normal if it over heats but it is not a problem if the blockage has gone. Is this right? Normal wear and tear?

I picked the cleaning kit this week, used to do the same pour lots of water through and cleaning with flue brush generally when fan pressure is higher than MI's state. I see loads of these where the pink lava has erupted through between fan and cell but fan pressure still within range, does anybody know what causes this? I also had one on Monday where i couldn't get the CO above 8% on the sit valve. Took the fan out, cleaned and put back then wouldn't relight. Took back out and found the rubber gas pipe had split at the joint on the back of the fan, anyone had this? I service this model of boiler more than any other and I'd say almost 30% need new expansion vessels too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Green lava? Is this a blockage that has forced it's way out from the water ways section of the heat cell? Does this mean it needs a new heat cell? I heard some where a good way to give a clean is attach hose outlet into the flue sampling point and run water through it this way

Not always, if the cell has gone I assume the system would be loosing pressure (vessel ok) and depending which way it goes within the cell it would pass though the sump and consense. I guess it could be condensate blowing around in there and the gasket has come to the end of it life maybe?
Mutely I used to live and had a business in surbiton till around 5 years ago...how are things up there these days?

I picked the cleaning kit this week, used to do the same pour lots of water through and cleaning with flue brush generally when fan pressure is higher than MI's state!

The fan pressure is a negative reading in the book.... It has to be greater than the minimum fan pressure, only when it drops below that reading does it indicate the heat cell has deposits on it & requires cleaning. In theory anyway :p

Yes negative reading, usually get around -5/-6. There's a chart in the MI's which I generally use, if it's out I'll clean the cell. Sliding that fan back onto the clamp can be a pain!

Not always, if the cell has gone I assume the system would be loosing pressure (vessel ok) and depending which way it goes within the cell it would pass though the sump and consense. I guess it could be condensate blowing around in there and the gasket has come to the end of it life maybe?
Mutely I used to live and had a business in surbiton till around 5 years ago...how are things up there these days?

So we do not know what the gunk is that gets pushed out of the gasket or why?

Life in Hampton Court is great. Business getting busier and busier and it's chilled here. Just started doing the bushy park run which is great fun on Saturday Mornings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to WB heat cells cleaning tools... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The system is open vented with a Glowworm boiler. It has an LCD controller on the wall - see pic. I just want to remove one radiator for cleaning...
Replies
Views
Our House is now fully Heat Pumped, insulated and we have had the Gas Meter Removed. We have a 1950s foldaway Cannon Gas Grill which is on the...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Hello! I'm Canadian so you may wonder what I'm doing on a UK plumbing forum. I'm basically just here to learn the British term for a tool that...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock