Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator Removal for Decorating / Cleaning in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

The system is open vented with a Glowworm boiler. It has an LCD controller on the wall - see pic.

I just want to remove one radiator for cleaning and decorating the room. I will put it back the same day.

If I switch the hot water and central heating off on the LCD controller several hours before I remove the rad will that be enough? Or do I need to switch anything else in the system before I begin?

I shouldn't have to drain the system. Is that correct?

Do I keep the system switched off while the rad is removed?

When I refit the rad should I refill it with water before turning on the system? I assume this way the system will continue with the same pressure etc when I turn it back on.

I have a Central Heating Dosing Tool so refilling the rad should be non messy.

I also need a new controller so any recommendations would be welcome. Budget £150.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20230802_200429.jpg
    20230802_200429.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 8
Yes you will have to close both valves before draining the rad but other than that you should be fine and best to do it cold just encase anything happens least then it’s cold water and not hot

And to refit just reverse of taking off and you can re-dose if you want

Eph a27-hw or Drayton lifestyle dual channel

Shut off everything and isolate the pump if you have one.
You can prepare a bucket than undo one nut on the rad. Let the water out and then take off the radiator. Replacing washers might be a good idea but not compulsory.
The air can be let out once the system is running again.

Yes you will have to close both valves before draining the rad but other than that you should be fine and best to do it cold just encase anything happens least then it’s cold water and not hot

And to refit just reverse of taking off and you can re-dose if you want

Eph a27-hw or Drayton lifestyle dual channel
Those LCD panels look spot on and better than the similar priced Honeywell ones on Amazon.

Reply to Radiator Removal for Decorating / Cleaning in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

What the easiest way to find why my boiler is losing pressure. It is about 5 years old Vaillant combi boiler, we have just had 2 vertical radiator removed and refitted for decorating and now the pressure keeps dropping approx once a week. I guess a leak under the floor is possible, or trapped...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
I want to swap a K1 radiator with a P+, the same size on a combi system. Can i turn off both valves, remove the existing radiator, put the new one on the existing brackets, and reconnect the existing valves, and then top up. Would draining the entire system be necessary? If draining is not...
Replies
Views
Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved into a house which has cellar within which is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. The rad looks old, rusty and horrible as does the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock