Search the forum,

Discuss Water Level in Toilet Bowl in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hulahoops

Hi

I had a plumber attend our flat last week as we have been getting sewage smells from our bath plug hole. He pointed out the water in the toilet bowl being too low. He said it should be where the line is. Its always been the same. I don't remember seeing at the line he says it should be at. He also ran the sink tap to check the toilet.

I can't remember what the plumber explained to me. It was a lot of info, confusing for me, most probably as I'm female lol. But I need to be able to know what he meant. What is the normal water level? What do I need to do to check that its operating how it should? The plumber provided no details on the receipt apart from he attended to investigate cause of smell and took the bath panel off.

I have to get reports together as my housing associations ignored the sewage and bleach smells we have been living with since May 2012. I am following their complaints procedure and have t attend the tenants panel hearing to have my complaint heard. The property director is so rude and horrible, he laughed at me saying my case against them would never go to court. They only acknowledged my complaints about the smells in July 2014 after Thames and my MP contacted them. Environmental health won't help. The director wrote to all involved, including the housing ombudsman informing them, they had no disrepairs outstanding and that I had been the only tenant to report and get the smells. Others have reported smells but they do not get it as bad as us

Please can you offer advice. My son will be 13 in two and a half weeks. For over two years, his not had any of his school friends over as he is so embarrassed about the smells. He knows its not my fault but after one of the school kids made fun about the smells back in 2012, he just feels to ashamed. Kids can be so cruel and I have tried everything to make our home a home and no matter how many plug ins, how many smelly sticks I burn, the smells can be too overpowering to get rid of and hide.

Really appreciate your time and advice. Thanks

Have the drains been checked? Is the toilet leaning backward? Could be some material stuck just behind the loo Pan that wicking the water out and letting sewer gases past the trap

Wait, what? There was a problem with the bath but he was checking the water level in the toilet cistern? Something could be siphoning the water from your bath trap. Still relatively new to plumbing so I could be wrong, hoping someone else chimes in and corrects me but that's my 2c

My bet is problem with ventilation on the Soil stack. When the loo is flushed the water is syphoned out of the bath trap and some is dragged out of the pan. Any AAVs need checking to see if they are working. Swapping the bath trap to a HepV0 valve will stop any smells and may help with the venting problem. An 1 1/2 HepV0 valve is more effective at venting a stack than a 4" Durgo.

You can't alter the height of water in a wc pan ( unless something is blocked behind it).
Is the smell inside the house? If it is, it will be the bath or basin trap being syphoned out. There are alto air vents or different traps your council can fit to stop this.

as a test, male sure every time you flush the toilet, or empty the basin or bath. Make sure when leaving the room, you pour a litre or so of water into the basin and bath.

Would keeping the plug in the bath and the basin help the lady and her son or would the smell still exit from the overflow holes and if so would sticky tape over the holes help them?
I know it`s not the cure but her son is gagging from the smells. Also it would give her something to use in her battle with the HA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Level in Toilet Bowl in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet. Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the...
Replies
Views
B
My toilet was slow flushing. I did some research and discovered it needed a new diaphragm washer. I managed to replace that. It now works. But now it trickles water into the bowl between flushes and then there is an odd noise randomly. I turned the water off at the mains and now the water...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and water levels are all fine in the cistern. If I flush the toilet and wait all looks fine. However after an hour the water levels have dropped by a couple...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have noticed for a while now that when our washing machine nears the end of a cycle we get a bad smell of dirty water in the downstairs toilet which is next door. We have moved the washing machine as we are having floor tiles put down and have noticed that the waste pipe is full of dark...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock