Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Valliant Combi Compact DHW only gets Lukewarm very poor water flow on hot and cold. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys

Went to a job today in a small set of offices and i was told that the hot water kept going on and off (hot then cold). What would you recommend i check? Pressure was low but I topped it up, made no difference.

Is a dodgy thermostat or heat exchanger likely? What tests do i need to do? if not where else should I be looking?

Also before that the women in the office told me that the water flow from the hot and cold taps were poor, checked with a weir gauge and got 3ltr/min.

I was thinking perhaps there is a valve not fully open somewhere. No isolation valves on any of the pipework to kitchen or to the ladies and gents. There was a stopcock on the cold as it comes in to the kitchen from downstairs. This was fully open.

Unfortunately the other offices downstairs were all locked as they are vacant and that is where the mains stopcock is (apparently), i wanted to check that this is fully open or if there are other valves down there.

Any information/advice welcomed.

Re: Valliant Combi Compact DHW only gets Lukewarm very poor water flow on hot and col

Prob a blocked hw hex, but knowing vaillant the main hex is prob blocked as well!

Re: Valliant Combi Compact DHW only gets Lukewarm very poor water flow on hot and col

Prob a blocked hw hex, but knowing vaillant the main hex is prob blocked as well!

Thanks. Forgot to say that with just hot water switched on the boiler does not fire up. only if it's ch/hw together.

i don't really have much experience with fault finiding. Could be diverter valve??

Whats the cold flow like? A low flow rate like that will prob mean that the phex is getting up to temp quickly and shutting boiler off.

I cant picture the boiler is this the one with all the small bore pipes in it?

Just googled it so know the boiler. You need to find the cause of low flow rate as this prob wont be enough to kick the boiler in.

Last edited:

Sounds like divertor valve diaphragm maybe gone.

Its that horrible old thing ! Prob what graham m says, good luck!

looking at the mi's it needs 3.5 litres a minute minimum flow rateso its possible the flow rate isnt enough to lift the diaphram id ask if the flow has always been that poor before doing anything
you can see the micro switches if you remove the cover if its not moving you can push it down see if it works then i it does i would say change the diaphram first

Re: Valliant only gets Lukewarm very poor water flow on hot and cold.

Any mixer taps installed?? I had one of these where the mixer taps were faulty causing a backflow cancelling out the hw pressure in turn boiler not operating in hw mode......i isolated the mixer taps and hw worked fine.

looking at the mi's it needs 3.5 litres a minute minimum flow rateso its possible the flow rate isnt enough to lift the diaphram id ask if the flow has always been that poor before doing anything
you can see the micro switches if you remove the cover if its not moving you can push it down see if it works then i it does i would say change the diaphram first

Yes I asked if the flow rate has always been that bad and they said no. They said if they renew the lease in a couple of months they will be looking to have a new boiler anyway. I just go to jobs as i'm told so I will check that if i get sent back.

Any mixer taps installed?? I had one of these where the mixer taps were faulty causing a backflow cancelling out the hw pressure in turn boiler not operating in hw mode......i isolated the mixer taps and hw worked fine.

Interesting, something I hope I can try. I can cut in a couple of iso's for the mixer and see if that helps.

All good replies if i get sent back to the job i will update.

Once went to a job with terrible water hammer throughout the whole house, newly built 5-6 years old.when ever any tap or shower in the house ran it was a right racket! Plumber had been around and told them they would need to dig up all of the kitchen and hall way to replace and lagg pipes correctly as they were bouncin about. Long story short after a bit of investigating tracked it down to a posh kitchen sink mixer that when the taps were run the back pressure would cause the ceramic cartridges to shudder. Confirmed it by simply pushing down on the tap heads to compress the cartridges while using other taps all good! then shutting one iso at a time no probs new taps all sorted! No digging up floors about 2hrs work

You need to check the incoming water, as you state that both the hot & cold have a poor flow rate , so fault is probably not the boiler

You need to check the incoming water, as you state that both the hot & cold have a poor flow rate , so fault is probably not the boiler

That's the reason i wanted to check all valves were fully open. Thought that would be best before touching the boiler.

Check ythe servo in the front bottom is making the switch. If not clean the li'l biddy pipes out or order new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Valliant Combi Compact DHW only gets Lukewarm very poor water flow on hot and cold. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock