Search the forum,

Discuss Unable to remove old olive from shower pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

milleniumaire

Hi, I'm having that "why did I start that job at 3:00pm on a Sunday afternoon feeling" :confused5:

I thought this would be an easy job, but already it's proving frustrating. I'm looking to replace an old Mira Excel EV thermostatic shower with a new Mira Excel EV thermostatic shower. Should be easy as the pipework doesn't need to be replaced, or so I thought.

This is the external type that fits to the tiled wall (tiles that I can't damage or remove as I have no replacements and they aren't sold any more). The hot and cold pipes protrude out through the wall. I successfully undid the two nuts connecting the pipes to the mixer control and also undid the screws in the plastic mounting plate so that the whole mixer control was able to be removed. Had a bit of a problem with the hot pipe as the mixer control wouldn't free from it, I assume limescale had bonded the pipe to the fitting. One worrying thing was that I was able to disconnect the mixer control from the cold pipe and then turn it 360 degrees around the hot pipe, but the mixer control was firmly attached and the pipe turned! I suspect the end of the copper pipe in the partition wall has come lose from a 90 degree elbow, which is allowing it to spin, which will mean I'll have to get access to it to re-solder! Is it likely that a plastic pipe is connected, allowing it to spin like this? As far as I'm aware, the plumber who did all the work on the house 12 years ago, when it was being built, used copper piping throughout, so I fear the worst!!!!

Anyway, I finally got the mixer control free from the pipe (by taping it until it came loose). Unfortunately, I'm now left with two copper pipe ends with compression nuts and olives and I need to be able to remove the olives. Due to the shortness of the pipe sticking out of the wall I can't push the compression nuts back, away from the olives, so I can't get at them.

I would very much appreciate some quick advice on how I can remove the olives from the protruding pipework.

Also, any comments on why the hot pipe is able to turn. Does it look like my assumptions may be correct and the elbow connection is likely to be loose?

My intention was to quickly get the old shower off and put some plastic ends on so that I could turn the water back on. I've then got a lot of re-grouting to do before putting on the new shower.

I can't use the existing compression nuts because they are gold, to match the old mixer control, while the new shower and fittings are silver.

get a couple of brass stop ends, the stop end bits should screw straight onto the nuts & olives on the bits of pipe you have sticking out of the wall

... any comments on why the hot pipe is able to turn. Does it look like my assumptions may be correct and the elbow connection is likely to be loose? ...

Really hope not! Pushfit fitting hidden away behind there if you're "lucky".

Thanks for the prompt responses.

The back of the partition wall to which the shower is fitted is in a small "walk in" storage area. I decided to cut a rectangular piece of plaster board out so I could access the piping from behind and this worked a treat. (Obviously more work to put this right later).

To my surprise, the copper pipe feeding the shower IS connected to some plastic piping, so that explains why the hot pipe was able to turn. There are two 90 degree plastic elbows connecting the short straights of copper piping in the shower to longer vertical lengths of plastic piping running up through the partition. In 12 years of doing diy in the house, this is the first plastic piping I've seen and it's a pleasant surprise as it makes removing the elbows from the copper very easy, so that I can now use some new lengths of copper and I don't need to worry about removing the olives!

However, having not worked with plastic piping before, I have removed the 90 degree elbows, but on the plastic feed there is the equivalent of an olive. It is a ring with small bits that jut into the plastic pipe. I can push this further down the pipe, but I can't pull it off as it just digs into the pipe and prevents any movement. It's obviously been design to easily push on, but not so easily remove. Is there an easy way to remove these or do I need to cut them off? If I cut them, I assume I can purchase just these "olives" or will I need to buy new elbows? This is not the usual speedfit, push fittings I have seen before, I assume this type of plastic fitting came before speedfit.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many brands of plastic fittings, you are better of replacing the elbows with complete new ones rather than repairing what you already have

Grab ring. Agree with quality, pop some new fittings. JG Speedfit is my preference for joining their tube or copper, but you will need to use the right fittings (and inserts) for the vertical plastic tube you're connection to.

Thanks again for the advice. I agree with the suggestions to replace the elbows so I used some pliers to cut the grab ring off and I've now capped off the plastic pipe with some push fit ends. I got these from my local plumb centre some time ago and they keep coming in useful for capping off pipes temporarily. I guess this means I can get some speedfit elbows and know they will fit, but it will be a while before I'm fitting the new shower as I've got lots and lots of grout to remove and replace :yawn:

The water is now back on and the family are happy again :love:

have you bought the new mira shower yet, if i was you i'd give mira a miss, there stuff is over priced & quality not what it used to be. i'd fit a thermostatic bar shower with fixing kit & alter pipes to suit. if this goes wrong in the future it can be replaced in minutes. make sure you get the fixing kit though.

Yes, I bought the Mira shower a few months ago, but I've only just got around to the job this weekend. I work at Wolseley UK, who own Plumb Center so I can usually get good deals on goods that have been returned to the warehouse. I got the shower for under Ā£200, which isn't a bad price. The original shower was the same type, just an older version, and it was still going strong after 13 years. I've got the same Mira shower in two other bathrooms and not had problems, but the main reason for getting another was the fact that the plumbing wouldn't have to be altered thereby avoiding having to replace tiles that I can no longer source. It will be interesting to see if the newer model stands the test of time.

I was happy with the old shower and screen but my other half decided she needed to refurbish and switch to silver rather than gold fittings, which I admit, look a little dated now. I say "she", obviously I ended up doing the work :confused5:

have you bought the new mira shower yet, if i was you i'd give mira a miss, there stuff is over priced & quality not what it used to be. i'd fit a thermostatic bar shower with fixing kit & alter pipes to suit. if this goes wrong in the future it can be replaced in minutes. make sure you get the fixing kit though.

What makes you say that Jonny, ya bam that ye are? :phone:

Not a fan of Mira?

Mira are expensive, but they really do last forever. Theyre the only truly fully servicable shower brand i know of.
You can service pack any Mira shower and it'll be almost as good as new and last a lifetime. Quality comes at a price.
Some bar showers ive fitted have only lasted 6 months! Theyre just a waste of time, unless you buy a Mira one :)

What makes you say that Jonny, ya bam that ye are? :phone:

Not a fan of Mira?
mira no better than some other showers, the excell costs Ā£380, you can get a bristan thermostatic bar mixer for Ā£50 with 5yr guarantee. i tell you what though phil, your getting the hang of the lingo. there must be some scottish blood in you somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unable to remove old olive from shower pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock