Discuss took some scrap back today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Puddle

As above,did a bbu to combi change last week,so had cylinder and scrap in van so thought have a trip to scrappy,added header tank filled 3/4 full of brass and 4 other bags of copper,went to a new merchant,told better prices given,you off load and get a slip and go to cash office,out came the fifties,got £ 378.54,well pleased,got £106 for brass and rest brassed copper,wish I had separated the pure copper now

Happy days !!!

chucked a old cast bath in bits,and a fire bbu i had to get rid as part of the deal so chucked them in the scrappies £40 quid,weighed my scrap in last month £680 well happy

I ripped out a cyliner and an old potterton prima last weekend and could probably fill the cylinder twice with the scrap copper from the job. Have not weighed in yet but am going to do it the weekend, but should get a few quid going off what you boys have said. Going Tenerife next week so should come in handy!!!!

Had to leave back boiler in as l/l wanted to keep fire,rented place,fire never ever been used,maybe twice in 25 years,room has radiator three times to big but he wanted to keep fire,just incase,of what,not sure !!!,thought he would get some off price but told him ''now had to service fire''

£680...£378 becoming a nice little bonus,think I may have left a bit in the attic,might nip round again,next door had theirs done,think I might check there as well !!
;):)

sod Tenerife,I might hit Vegas :p,have a good one tom !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
we remove everything well worth recovering the atic as well dont normally weigh in steel just give that to the scrappies but surprised what its worth,we sort it all into tanks brass,braizery,clean copper,ali,lead and remove the foam off cylinders primatic cylinders always a bonus,we also remove all the copper/brass/heat exchangers off a combi when we change them old ferrolis good,french boilers not so,some plate heat exchangers classed as copper

we remove everything well worth recovering the atic as well dont normally weigh in steel just give that to the scrappies but surprised what its worth,we sort it all into tanks brass,braizery,clean copper,ali,lead and remove the foam off cylinders primatic cylinders always a bonus,we also remove all the copper/brass/heat exchangers off a combi when we change them old ferrolis good,french boilers not so,some plate heat exchangers classed as copper

nice,now I know the value of it,will spend more time doing as you say gas man,was in a rush today,so did not separate properly,they were giving good money for scrap cars,a few years ago,they were charging you,by the looks of the operation they have down at the scrappy now,looks like all making good money.now know way a cast iron boiler disappears in 5 mins now outside the job

The job we're on we ripped out a lot of copper. Its a large farm house, and we filled one of the stables. Plus the old cylinder was HUGE.

I was thinking 'drink up' we're all going to have a nice drink here. Loads of 35mm, loads of 28mm, yum.

Then client says he's arranging for the scrap to be taken and it's not ours. He heard it was worth something.

Could have cried....still might!

The job we're on we ripped out a lot of copper. Its a large farm house, and we filled one of the stables. Plus the old cylinder was HUGE.

I was thinking 'drink up' we're all going to have a nice drink here. Loads of 35mm, loads of 28mm, yum.

Then client says he's arranging for the scrap to be taken and it's not ours. He heard it was worth something.

then charge for recovering it we give the custards a small built in deduction for scrap value

I didn't detail anything in the quote other than 'Remove old heating system'

So in fairness it's my fault, and it is his property.

I know its sickening, but that's life. Roll with the punches.

I was so excited about it, I photographed it with my phone and sent it to a mate who's also a plumber

"Look what we've got"

Whats that saying....Never count your chickens before they've hatched.

HA!

Whats that saying....Never count your chickens before they've hatched.

HA!

Can tell you are working on a farm house,good to see you are picking up the lingo :),pity your not picking up the scrap too :(

can you not get a few samples :cool:

I always get the boy to strip everything even the copper/lead overflows or the ballcocks from the galvy tanks while i am filling out paperwork and going through things with the cust. Back to the yard and separate and clean it (don't bother with the soldered fittings). Strip the foam from the cylinders and take the grinder and cut the tappings and immersion bosses out the cylinders (that wan was the boys idea) so they now go in with the copper at £4.35/kg. I always give the lad a decent bung from the scrap money.

Danny when you put it in the quote as removal of old heating system add the words and recovery. If the cust questions the scrap tell him an allowance has been made in the price for recovery as was on the quote.

wow thats alot of money for scrap ! i took 2 old heatrae lido water heaters down to scrappys, had to remove steel casing both weighed around 5 kilos so got 30 odd pound, then had a couple of brass taps so got 50 pound all in, was quite happy with that lol

I found a couple of old baths in a stately home down in the free state when I was commissioning some new boilers down there. I'm still toying with the idea they won't miss them.......
Bath.jpg

How much do you reckon that's worth? Without a fat necked croppie sat in of course!

Been working in an old factory and ripped out old copper pipe and rads and was loading into van when one of the directors said "hope we'll get a cut of that lot" I replied as quick as a flash "Its been allowed for in the price" he wandered off tripping over his bottom lip!

can you legally say that its been allowed for in the price though, after all it is their property ?

I found a couple of old baths in a stately home down in the free state when I was commissioning some new boilers down there. I'm still toying with the idea they won't miss them.......
View attachment 2390

How much do you reckon that's worth? Without a fat necked croppie sat in of course!

you must use the same shampoo as me " WASH & GO " or wash and went lol

and your vertically challenged , poor sod hehehehe

can you legally say that its been allowed for in the price though, after all it is their property ?

I'm not sure ???

I had issues in my younger days off being ripped off on a service on my car so next year when i went to a diffenert garage I asked for all replaced parts to be put in a cardboard box i had placed in the boot. Technically it is my property. They had no problem in doing it and i still use this garage for all my repair work i cant do.

So technically you can only say its been allowed for in the price if the invoice details this I would imagine. If your invoicing for parts and labourer then he can take the scrap.

Its never been brought up for to me before though, everyone thinks i am doing them a favour by taking scrap away as they do not know if its worth anything

went to one of my dad's houses he rents investigating a leaking roof in the attic, what do i find copper cylinder and loads of pipework left over from a boiler to combi conversion(done before i got gsr'd). going back next week to sort leak and loot all the copper woo hoo !!!! what i don't understand is why the plumber who did the boiler did not take it himself there mustbe at least 80 quids worth for an hour's work stripping it out even going back a few years he would have got 40/50 quid for it.

plumbers perogative having the scrap...

you do get them though - any scrap is straight on the van - you leave it lying around and the customer always has a go at it. the less they see the better - even if they ask for the cylinder id keep the pipework etc..

and the secret with the scrap merchants is to always seperate everything! you watch the gypsys they know what theyre doing - ive been behind a few of them in the que for the scales and the stuff they scrap is ridiculous (heating elements out of kettles, seperate the alloy rims from the spokes on bike wheels etc etc) full time job to them though i suppose.

went to one of my dad's houses he rents investigating a leaking roof in the attic, what do i find copper cylinder and loads of pipework left over from a boiler to combi conversion(done before i got gsr'd). going back next week to sort leak and loot all the copper woo hoo !!!! what i don't understand is why the plumber who did the boiler did not take it himself there mustbe at least 80 quids worth for an hour's work stripping it out even going back a few years he would have got 40/50 quid for it.

watch out mate the same happened to me, don't take things for granted, i started cutting and stripping out only to find the last plumber had left the vent and cold feed to cylinder still linked into system, i got the shock of my life, the stop ends were probs a big clue,but i was blinded by £ SIGNS.you've been warned good luck.

Good for you,think you will get more ££££ than you think !!

Drove past one of the main scrap yards a hour ago and there was a big long que of trucks and vans waiting to get in and off load,seems like everyone is scrapping everything they can at the moment and prices keep on raising,silver has doubled in the past year or so too

A friend took a cylinder and pipework from a bbu to combi change that I mean he did last week to scrappy today,got £138.67 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys sort it all out, Brass, braisery,and clean copper. I always have believing that you get a better price. But at the moment i have alot to sort and just wondered if i should just load into van and take as is.?

its a bit annoying seperating it all, but I do it you get more money that way

Clean everything. It is worth your while even moreso if you have a lot.

I just chuck all mine in a bag, copper, brass, etc etc.

Whats it costing me not seperating it all out? Its going to be a nice weekend, quite fancy spending a morning in the garden splitting it all out with a few cold tinnies in hand.

you get more per kg for clean copper, than you would if it wasn't clean and had brass olives etc. 2nd most is brazen copper, then brass. So by splitting them if you have alot of clean copper you can make alot more than you would if you put it in all together

buy a set of bolt cutters, great for chopping through copper . makes life a lot easier separating brazed pipe

what kind of money do you get for ferrous metal ? ? I have 4 brake discs quite a bit of weight in them, would it be worth my while taking them to the scrappies down the road ?

Not much but you will get something. Not worth a trip just for that. Better keeping then until you are going with something else.
Last week i threw an old steel wheel in the van when i was going with other stuff and got £1.20 or something for it. Hardly worth the effort to throw it on the scales.

I suppose your right, will wait until I have more stuff and just throw it all in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to took some scrap back today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Here they are! Totally refreshed for this year. We have given a makeover to all of the BOXSET range. All options are now presented in smart...
Replies
Views
365drills
R
Ok, so lots of people kindly participated in the great Intergas Poetry competition. See this thread for details. There are two prizes - the main...
Replies
Views
Whyme
W
M
Started last night really. Nipped into a job on the way home. Noisy radiators. Time I got there last night the heating had packed up all together...
Replies
Views
Plum Bob 66
P
S
went to a house today to fit a shower electrican mate was doing the leccy me the plumbing anyway turns the water off at the stopcock all ok goes...
Replies
Views
gasmarc
G
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock