Discuss best one yet today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sparra1100

went to a house today to fit a shower electrican mate was doing the leccy me the plumbing anyway turns the water off at the stopcock all ok goes upstairs nice worcester combi sat there turns the taps on in the bathroom as usual for me secondary check water coming out fast me thinks HOW so goes and checks to double check i got it right and its a combi turned it off in the road aswell just to make sure ,custard says had a plumber out 6 months ago cos the overflow was leaking and he was mad cos they never took the tank out but took the copper emertion so why didnt he mention its a combi and doesnt have tanks. so the lady then shows me the overflow and there for all to see condensate 4 meters up dropping into a bucket on the floor and the blow off in 22mm facing straight out over the patio theres some right cowboys about so am also thinking going off the state of the rest of it they havent removed the tanks in the loft and there still in use otherwise why is there water feeding the upstairs when there shouldnt be so what should have took 20 mins, ive now go to go back tomoz now, nightmare how do they get away with it cos i can never get away with anything not that i want to but ye no what i mean

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: :rofl: I have often wondered who "they" are? You watch these programmes on telly

But then we come across extremely dodgy work and wonder who did this? I've become quite complacent to be honest coz I've seen so many 'wrong' installations! *sigh*

Good post sparra110 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
may have misunderstood this but, sure its not a gravity mains fed house?.

may have misunderstood this but, sure its not a gravity mains fed house?.

no red mate defo a combi 24 cdi fully pumped and sealed system altho the people who fitted it forgot that ,and the woman mentioned warmfront wont no till tomoz but i think theyve blanked the hot but left the cold as it is ,instead of linking the mains and left the tanks live so to speak ,probs dont no what there doin

There are plenty of houses with combis which still have tank fed cold to the bathroom. Reasons for leaving it could vary from difficult to swap it to i aint getting paid so not doing (if they are working for someone) to just can't be rsed.

i never put a customer onto mains in the bathroom when going from system to combi unless they ask for it, because doing this they expect the tank cut out/drained/removed/disposed for the same bloody price! takes me another hour + sometimes. if they ask for it, i charge more + wish for the old copper water tanks! :D:D:D

i never put a customer onto mains in the bathroom when going from system to combi unless they ask for it, because doing this they expect the tank cut out/drained/removed/disposed for the same bloody price! takes me another hour + sometimes. if they ask for it, i charge more + wish for the old copper water tanks! :D:D:D

maybe thats where, were all diffrent mate cos to me its in with the price and the time doesnt bother me you could prahaps leave a tank in to feed a shower but not for there water maybe its done diffrent up by you as tamz said its ok as well ,usually you carnt get them out and have no choice to leave them in i always say i carnt remove them and would be extra to move them and they usually are happy to leave them there then but not in use its a combi and a sealed pressurized system so why would you leave them in use, it defeats the object granted its sealed on the ch side but if the gauge drops then you get no hot water either plus on the job i was on i think it was lazyness nothink to do with feeding elsewere hence the condensate

Why isnt converting the cold over to mains in your original price?? You dont want to be leaving them with unbalanced hot and cold supplies.

It is not normal to leave them in up here either but there are a lot left in.
Sometimes in flats there is no way to swap it over without wrecking the place as the tank is fitted above the bathroom door and boxed in tight with only a small trap door for access to the ballvalve. Swapping them would involve taking the ceiling down to get in and most people won't have that.

there are still quite a few flats in Glasgow with cold storage to the KITCHEN tap, (well OK a couple of yrs ago now) always amazed that they did them this way, loft tank fed 3 or 4 flats and was about 3m x 3m x 2m, and was often found with dead birds in them "naw missus, thats no a feather coming out of your tap, its tank insulation, but yes i suppose it does look a bit like a feather:devil:"
if possible when doing a system out and combi in i always ask the customer if they want me to convert the bathroom storage to mains, as long as there arent any low pressure showers in, and i ALWAYS tell them that although im not trying to spook them their existing 20yr old cold storage pipework has been somewhere in the region of 0.2-0.3bar it will now be about 2-3bar so any pressure problems (leaks) will not be guaranteed under my work, and as a plumber i always remember to change the orifice in the ballcock to HP

most of the time i cant remove the tanks due to loft hatch being too small etc, but i always disconnect them, convert to mains and tidy up the pipework in loft(more scrap for me) I include it in the price, after all people want combis for storage to get rid of cylinders/tanks etc, but i do have a disclaimer that i cant be held responsible for existing pipework.

i came across an office block which was fed off a large storage tank, they were using the water in their kitchen area for years, i converted it to mains but looking inside the tank it was disgusting to think they had been drinking it for years

Last edited:
I never ever take out tanks even if they are plastic as i dont have a Licence to carry waste and dont go to the dump.I went to a job a while back and the combi was fed from the tank in the loft

any chance someone could explain a make up vessel on a system boiler or combi, is it similar to having a tank with only a feed and a check valve on a sealed system, and would make up vessel have a ball valve?

I always remove the tanks were possible if there plastic and dont fit through the hatch i cut them in half to get em out, but if galv or asbestos then empty them out and leave em in situ.

Best one i saw yesterday was a combi in a loft with the prv dropping into a bucket and the best bit a Plumber used to live there

It is not normal to leave them in up here either but there are a lot left in.
Sometimes in flats there is no way to swap it over without wrecking the place as the tank is fitted above the bathroom door and boxed in tight with only a small trap door for access to the ballvalve. Swapping them would involve taking the ceiling down to get in and most people won't have that.

fair doos tamz but carnt ye just blank the tanks off then join up somewere else

there are still quite a few flats in Glasgow with cold storage to the KITCHEN tap, (well OK a couple of yrs ago now) always amazed that they did them this way, loft tank fed 3 or 4 flats and was about 3m x 3m x 2m, and was often found with dead birds in them "naw missus, thats no a feather coming out of your tap, its tank insulation, but yes i suppose it does look a bit like a feather:devil:"
if possible when doing a system out and combi in i always ask the customer if they want me to convert the bathroom storage to mains, as long as there arent any low pressure showers in, and i ALWAYS tell them that although im not trying to spook them their existing 20yr old cold storage pipework has been somewhere in the region of 0.2-0.3bar it will now be about 2-3bar so any pressure problems (leaks) will not be guaranteed under my work, and as a plumber i always remember to change the orifice in the ballcock to HP

i dont even give that a thought kirkgas i just do it as a matter of course when doing a system just how ive been taught/shown never done it any other way

i dont even give that a thought kirkgas i just do it as a matter of course when doing a system just how ive been taught/shown never done it any other way

i would ALWAYS convert a house to mains, and anytime i have moved house or a relative has i do it as a matter of course even with a system boiler, i always convert their bathroom supply to mains, i have seen SO many dead birds in storage tanks, and thats whet they brush their teeth with, used to get it quite often in the massive communal tanks, feathers or bones coming out of the taps, full drain down, cleanse ad refill of the tank supplying 3-4 houses, yuk, having to split one of the gatevalves in the loft to clean out the gunge, feathers and bones

I hate to think the stuff in our tank on a council block with all the pidgeons living in there , I feel chirpy today

kirkgas - remember when i was with carillion on the social housing contracts for cube in maryhill, the storage tanks in they lofts ... (junk needles, birds, feathers, dirt) these were in the clean tanks!!

Cheers Bod and Merry Christmas all. I think it a case sometimes of not knowing is best , I remember years ago we use to go to the indian around the corner after the pub and my missus got meat that looked stringy and are cat went missing and they got closed down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to best one yet today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
I have a seemingly impossible problem. I am not a plumber but I can at least understand some of it. We have just had the Water Board inspector...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small...
Replies
Views
I recently read a post / comment whereby there was a recommendation that if you are away from your home more than 24 hours, then you should turn...
Replies
Views
Back