Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet Flush Button Stuck in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
For a while now one of my flush buttons on the toilet has started sticking down and so it just continues flushing. I can get it to pop back up by wiggling it around a bit but this is starting to get quite annoying.
Is there any part of the system I could easily replace myself that would fix this?

IMG_2232 (2).JPG

Best to replace the flush as I’ve never seen that type/make before

I normally fit fluidmaster

Yes only difference is some are 2” others are 1.5” but the fluidmaster normally comes with an adapter for both

I have never seen that sort of arrangement before. That is a flapper valve. If you disconnect the small tube from the valve in the middle will the toilet still fill? Just check the small tube doesn't have any holes in it. It looks like when the fill valve fills the cistern the tube may help to close the flush and lift the buttons back up.

This looks like yours.
Thank you, yes that definitely looks like mine, although I can't find anyone actually selling them or one like it?.
Should I disconnect the one end of that tube and just try flushing again to test it?

You could disconnect the tube, if the cistern fills ok you could just replace the flush valve. But I think I would replace both as you could well be in the same boat in the future. If you do, make sure you buy a fill valve with a brass tail.

It’s a trap primer found mostly on the American side let’s water through after a flush

You shouldn’t need one so just any push button siphon should do etc

You would need to replace both fill and flush valves

Yep that will be fine

Hi all,
I've bought the new part and started dismantling the toilet. I've removed both the plastic nuts holding the cistern in place. But how do I undo the inlet valve? I've undone the plastic nut but the cistern will still not come loose. I've tried undoing the top metal nut but when I turn anti-clockwise it turns the whole metal assembly and lower metal nut too. Should I be holding the lower nut with grippers before undoing the upper nut?
Attached is a photo of the assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_2248.JPG
    IMG_2248.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 10
Need to hold the plastic steam then undo the brass nut

Thank you, I watched some videos too and realised I was turning it the wrong way as well. Why is everything reverse threaded in plumbing? Or is it just upside down?
There is a small rubber washer on the top of the inlet valve, not sure if I get a new one in the fluidmaster packet but I assume I need to make sure that it's put back in when I re-assemble (pic attached)?

Shall I remove all the old silicon on the bottom of the cistern where the holes are? I've seen that it shouldn't be necessary for silicon if you make a good seal?

Attachments

• IMG_2249.JPG
    IMG_2249.JPG
    489.9 KB · Views: 8
Your looking at it backwards

this needs replacing 15MM HEP20 WAVIN FLAT TAP CONNECTOR WASHERS-RUBBER (BAG OF 20) HX58/15 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15MM-HEP20-WAVIN-FLAT-TAP-CONNECTOR-WASHERS-RUBBER-BAG-OF-20-HX58-15/291994119470?hash=item43fc34ad2e:g:67cAAOSwtgFbkjzT

Or a pack of 1/2 fibre washers from screwfix

Fibre & Rubber Washers 210 Pcs - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/fibre-rubber-washers-210-pcs/70837

yes clean all the old silicon off you don’t require it
Will these do the job too? - homebase is closer for me: Oracstar 1/2 inch Fibre Washer For Flexible Tap Connector - https://www.homebase.co.uk/oracstar-1-2-inch-fibre-washer-for-flexible-tap-connector/12821640.html

Remove the old one from the valve totally

find one that will fit where the old one was put the one that fits into a cup of water for 5 mins

after 5 mins put the fibre washer on the valve and install the fill valve and carry on

Thanks so much for your help. I've put the washer to soak now. IS it absolutely paramount I remove all the old silicon? some of it is really difficult to get off especially around the main outlet hole in the cistern.

Yes get as much as you can off

Yes get as much as you can off
Ok I've fitted everything except for the lid and buttons and checked for leaks, I think I've got everything tight enough now as I can't see any drips now.
I've turned the water back on but the water level just keeps rising until it reaches the overflow pipe and flows down the back of the toilet bowl. Basically it doesn't stop filling, I assume I need to do something with the fill valve. I'll have another look at the instructions.

Does it stop if you raise the float?

And does the float move freely ?

Would say it’s faulty then

worth a punt cleaning the washer just in case anything is keeping it open

You were right the valve needed flushing out, there was small bits of grit in the valve!!. After cleaning out the valve worked perfectly.
The slight problem I've got now is whoever installed the toilet pan/bowl put it slightly too close to the wall so when I flush I'm getting a leak because the 2 plastic bolts holding the cistern down onto the bowl are at a slight angle sigh Its probably why they put so much silicon on, gggrrrrrr!

Did you replace the donut washer and bolts ?

Did you replace the donut washer and bolts ?
Yep but only did them hand tight, theres no leak from the water just sat in the cistern only when I flush. Also I cant get the lid back on properly as the back of the cistern is at a very slight angle. Looks like I'm gonna have to dis-assemble it all re-align/retighten. I've had enough for today so will have to look at that another time.

Reply to Toilet Flush Button Stuck in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock