Discuss Thermostat in main living room, or hall. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cascas

Most houses usually have the room stat, in the main hall (often between the stairs). Just reading the manual for thehe siemens, and it recommends to install in the main living room.

Where do others usually install?

I install in most lived in room

My old school head tells me that the hall is the preferred place, something to do with air changes? Not 100% but that's my experience. It could also stem from the fact that living rooms can have other means of heat eg. gas fire. This can heat up the living room faster than predicted thus shutting off the stat, and the rest of the house prematurely :)

Definitely in the hall! Even if there is no gas or coal fire in living room, if you get a few people in the room the temperature rises due to body heat. Then the room stat cuts off & rest of house cold. Hall is stable temperature. Living room just should have it's own Trv or similar.

That was meant to include a little bit more info -sorry. Been fittng stats on heating systems for a long time and only ever fitted them remotely (i.e hall) also as previously stated agree with best, had a situation once where fire running full tilt in living room shut down stat and rest of property suffered as a result. Worth bearing in mind separate trv.s plus room stat to avoid dry cycling of boiler when trvs are closed

Depends on the house. If its a modern or open plan house, the hall. Some old houses have the halls as corridors between the front door and the rooms and keep the doors shut and don't heat it, in which case the hall is unsuitable.

Not in a room with a separate heat source (e.g. cooker, fire). Downstairs, out of draught area and away from a radiator. Usually this means the hall.

I just give them a honeywell wireless and they can sit it on the kitchen table for all i care.

Otherwise normally the hall but depends on type and layout of house.

Ensure thermostat is mounted onto an internal wall at 1500mm high from the floor level. External walls should be avoided due to the transfer of outside temperatures through the wall, I hope this helps.

on the otherside of the wall to the boiler is my choice but thats cos i like to save the cost of wiring or a wireless stat

Mine is located on a piece of string around my girl friends neck.

If I get a chance its in the living room

each install has different needs. Many new houses do not have a hall so to speak so makes it even harder to decide. The good thing about remote stats is you can reposition them with ease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermostat in main living room, or hall. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock