Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss The Definitive Tradesman TECH Tips Thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TWD

I use a lot of digital files in my day to day work and have had to become very efficient in doing so.
I am wondering how much digital places a part in your day to day lives as plumbers.
I know many of you use software / websites / computers / mobiles etc and I though
this thread could help do two things.

1) Provide a central reference for checking out what's available to help you
work smarter not harder

2) Provide a reference for me to help identify some video tutorials / reviews etc. on youtube of
items from the list based on demand.

If any of you would be interested and would consider subscribing to such a channel.

A sort of tradesman technology tips channel with high def video please let me know.

If the interest is there I will dedicate some time to creating really useful information for you to help
you grow and develop your businesses.

I spent a few years working as a software developer/support guy for an company that helped businesses to build solid workflows and integrate automation into the organisations. They were a market leader and I learned a great deal.

I will edit this thread over time compiling some information I've been reading across the forum so that
it is in a central place for reference. There are some great threads already on here but they are spread and some have outdated information.

I also know quite a lot of great open source applications which you can download and use freely,
even for your business purposes. Some of you will already know them but I am sure their will be plenty who don't

Let me know if you have any software or tech you want me to review or if you just think this sounds like it could be helpful for you.

The table below is under construction - please do not reference for now ;-)

Desktop Apps

Software TitlePlatformPricingRatingCategoryLink
Gas Rate CalculatorAndroidPlumbing Specific
Pipe Offset CalculatorPlumbing Specific
Plumbing Specific

Mobile Apps

Plumbing Specific

Plumbing Specific

Plumbing Specific

Cheers
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
A really good pricing say app as most use phones a lot now or tablets

Save getting laptops/desktops
Would be quicker on move
And very cheap or even better free lol

Pricing for you to show (your clients?) (estimates?) displayed on your mobile / tablet? as a way to present on the spot quotes?

Is that close to what your thinking of?

Something you can change yourself easily?

Maybe branded with your business logo?

Can you tell me how you might see yourself using such an application - their maybe something out there already or it may be something I could arrange to be developed but that would depend upon the complexity / demand etc. but I like the idea of developing something that could be used free and would be useful to tradesman.

As a promotional tool I'm sure it wouldn't do my business any harm.

Have to get back to work but all responses on this thread are welcomed.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
A really good pricing say app as most use phones a lot now or tablets

Save getting laptops/desktops
Would be quicker on move
And very cheap or even better free lol

Pricing for you to show (your clients?) (estimates?) displayed on your mobile / tablet? as a way to present on the spot quotes?

Is that close to what your thinking of?

Something you can change yourself easily?

Maybe branded with your business logo?

Can you tell me how you might see yourself using such an application - their maybe something out there already or it may be something I could arrange to be developed but that would depend upon the complexity / demand etc. but I like the idea of developing something that could be used free and would be useful to tradesman.

As a promotional tool I'm sure it wouldn't do my business any harm.

Have to get back to work but all responses on this thread are welcomed.

Thanks for your comments.

Exactly mate

Tons of gas rate ones already.

pipe offset wouldn't be of any practical use.

mike look at the gas checker app, you can do invoices on it, certificates and they are about to launch a quotation section in it.

You know what would be bloody amazing, really really god damned amazing that i have no bloody idea why anyone even though of it?

mike......whats my share of the profits :p

You know what would be bloody amazing, really really god damned amazing that i have no bloody idea why anyone even though of it?

mike......whats my share of the profits :p

Well - I'm not really thinking about a commercial application yet - more something I can develop over time as a free to use application.

So I started work on a directory of amongst other things Boiler Manufacturers as it was suggested to me that locating certain numbers when on a job could be a bit of a pain.

I designed and published a website called plumbersphonebook.com which can be accessed on mobile.

Any feedback would be appreciated with regard to what numbers people would find helpful.

a telephone directory of manufacturers tech lines that doesnt involve 0845/0800 numbers that cost a fortune on mobiles, worst case as i do with aga is ring some poor sap who's number Ive found and he transfers me to the techline :)

looks good although there is a spelling mistake, have a look at the awaiting image place mat.

You mean like the say no to 0870 site? Unlisted numbers would be useful I agree but due to the volume of listings that would need a community type effort to discover and maintain the numbers.

Maybe something possible in the future depending on whether it generate traffic and gets used amongst other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The Definitive Tradesman TECH Tips Thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock