Search the forum,

Discuss System Boiler Advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Purchasing a new property and I have a few questions for you. But first a bit of context.

At the moment, there is a boiler with a cylinder in the kitchen, and another cylinder in the loft. I don't know if it's a heat-only boiler or a system boiler but I assume it's the former given the two cylinders. I may be completely wrong here.

The property is a detached house with three bedrooms and two bathrooms (one with a shower and one with both shower & bathtub). This is the current situation, but in a few years I am looking to do a loft conversion which will result in an additional bedroom and additional bathroom with definitely a shower and potentially another bathtub.

I am thinking of renovating the boiler and I have the following few questions:
  • Am I correct thinking that I need a system boiler or can I get away with a combi?
  • Assuming there is a heat-only boiler and I move to a system boiler, do I keep the existing cylinder, or should I opt for a new one?
  • Assuming I go for a new complete system boiler, which one would you suggest (boiler and cylinder) for the situation I described above?
  • Anything else I am missing?
Property is in EN2 and I have no idea of the water pressure there unfortunately. If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Good evening thunderstruck,

You’ll need to have your pressure and flow rate measured. Based on some of the information provided, a Combi sounds unsuitable for your requirements - and would be probably best suited to an unvented cylinder - which can be heat only or system boiler.

Good evening thunderstruck,

You’ll need to have your pressure and flow rate measured. Based on some of the information provided, a Combi sounds unsuitable for your requirements - and would be probably best suited to an unvented cylinder - which can be heat only or system boiler.
Thank you for your reply.

I had a conversation with another friend this afternoon who suggested that I keep the heat-only set up as the additional pressure from a system boiler may burst the existing pipes. Never thought about that, so I need to understand the current pressure as you mentioned and flow rate.

I assume that's a plumber who would do that (total ignorance here). Any idea how much that would cost?

I assume that's a plumber who would do that (total ignorance here). Any idea how much that would cost?
If you’re referring to the pressure and flow rate, then yes generally a plumber. If you’re referring to an unvented cylinder, this would be a G3 registered plumber/engineer.

Regards cost - absolutely no idea as they vary countrywide. If need be obtain 3 quotes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlikely that the existing pipework would not accept mains pressure, though always possible.

You can probably keep your existing cylinders if you want. You can even get a combi and run some taps from the combi and others (the bath perhaps) from a cylinder.

And you are completely wrong to assume boiler is heat only by the way just because it feeds a hot water cylinder. The presence of a smallish (4 gallonish) CISTERN, however, would almost certainly indicate a heat only boiler.

A heat only boiler does not contain means of expansion nor a pump, a system boiler does - that is the only difference. Either type can be connected to an open-vented cylinder (the latter will be fed by a largish (25gallons+) cistern).

If you truly mean two cylinders, one may be a thermal store such as a Gledhill Boilermate?

Thank you all for the replies.

I don't have any photos at the moment, and I am waiting for the completion so I can actually get into the property and provide some proper photos.

With regards to the cylinders, I did notice a big one next to the boiler (in the kitchen) and another big one at the loft. Unfortunately I didn't notice a small one, but there may well be one there.

I think having a plumber looking at the whole system up close would be able to determine what the best route going forward is.

Any particular brands i should be considering and what kW?

I would say get a local company to take a look and be advised by them , older properties are sometimes a bit tricky maybe jot down your thoughts of the improvements you are planning to make and what you are hoping to achieve, 3 bathrooms although probably not all used at the same time ?, you will require a decent water supply with 3 bar + pressure and a good flow rate 21+ litres a minute for a unvented type cylinder, a dedicated supply straight to the cylinder from the incoming supply this may not be achievable so a survey needs to be carried out to find your options . Regards kop

Just to add, don't get too hung up on boiler type as any of them can all be made to work with an unvented cylinder with the right controls, your chosen installer should know how and why. Steer clear of combi slappers that'll say it'll be fine but only if it's large enough, some storage combi's might do for a 3+ bathroom residence but you still need the requisite gas and water pressures as you would with an unvented cylinder.

I'd go as far as saying opt for a gas engineer with a commercial ticket if you're really serious about expanding your hot water requirements in the manner and quantity that you say you are. You've spent £100,000's on a new property, will spend £10,000's on an extenension/conversion to give you many baths and showers so don't skimp or think you can on your hot water delivery system if you want a decent result.

Just to add, don't get too hung up on boiler type as any of them can all be made to work with an unvented cylinder with the right controls, your chosen installer should know how and why. Steer clear of combi slappers that'll say it'll be fine but only if it's large enough, some storage combi's might do for a 3+ bathroom residence but you still need the requisite gas and water pressures as you would with an unvented cylinder.

I'd go as far as saying opt for a gas engineer with a commercial ticket if you're really serious about expanding your hot water requirements in the manner and quantity that you say you are. You've spent £100,000's on a new property, will spend £10,000's on an extenension/conversion to give you many baths and showers so don't skimp or think you can on your hot water delivery system if you want a decent result.
Thank you.... spot on. I have reached out to a gas engineer as suggested to get a proper look at the system and determine next steps

Reply to System Boiler Advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock