Discuss Suitable replacement boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Goinker

Please excuse what might be a silly question as I'm a 'newbie' on here, but I'm shortly intending to replace a Worcester Bosch 230 RSF combi of about 1995 vintage. It's still doing it's job heating-wise, but hot water output is only around 8 litres/minute which isn't much good as I'm about to replace a bath with a shower which has a 'monsoon' shower head so doubt it'll be able to keep up. I like the supposed reputation of Vaillant, and wondered if one of the Ecotec plus range with the extra cylinders in the back might give me the 'back-up' for the shower, but I'm open to advice for a reliable replacement. Around 15 litres/minute hot water output would seem to be what I need., and a bit higher central heating output wouldn't go amiss. I'm an Electrician, but I'm required to do a fair amount of water plumbing as part of my job, although I won't touch gas work. My intention is to replace the boiler myself (I've done a couple previously) and just get a local Gas Safe installer to do the gas pipework and commission the new boiler. There is no filter on the system presently, but I intend to flush and fit one as part of the job. Any/all advice gratefully received.
Cheers,
Goinker.

I'm shortly intending to replace a Worcester Bosch 230 RSF combi of about 1995 vintage. It's still doing it's job heating-wise, but hot water output is only around 8 litres/minute
The flow rate is determined by the incoming cold water from the mains. Installng a larger boiler will not give you a faster flow rate.

If you have a garden tap fed straight from the mains, measure the flow rate (litres/min) using a marked bucket and a watch. Then repeat with the kitchen cold water tap turned full on . If no garden tap, just check at the kitchen tap. This will give you the incoming flow rate - the lower figure is the important one. If you want to increase the flow rate the only way is to replace the incoming mains pipe with something larger.

You size a boiler using 2.5kW per litre/min.

if you have good mains pressure at your house, then you should get the flow rate the manufacturer states.

I did do the 'tap & bucket' measuring method and got 12 litres/min, on the cold main but it varies according to time of day and local demand, so can be a bit more at times. (I live near the end of a lane which only leads to a farm). My power supply voltage and broadband speeds are also poor for pretty much the same reason, as I seem to get whats left after everyone at the other end of the lane gets what they need! I'm guessing there is some sort of restrictor in the boiler as 8 litres/min hot water is about the max at any time, so I assumed a boiler with more potential throughput might give me a bit more hot water, maybe even the same output of hot water as the cold main output since I doubt Severn Trent are going to up the pressure anytime soon! I still want to look at a replacement boiler though, so advice on the best/most reliable would be welcome. My thanks to you guys for your help so far.
Goinker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Suitable replacement boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock