Search the forum,

Discuss Solvent welding different types of pvc in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
Do different PVC pipes I.E PVC and muPVC weld directly together?
Regards
Tezzer

I'd expect so, they are only PVC variants.

To check put a small dab of solvent on the exterior of each material and see if the surface starts to dissolve. If both have you should be fine.

I'd expect so, they are only PVC variants.

To check put a small dab of solvent on the exterior of each material and see if the surface starts to dissolve. If both have you should be fine.
They seemed to weld well when I connect them. I couldn’t find a definitive answer online so thought I’d ask the question. I think you’re right though, given that they both come under the pvc umbrella.
Thanks Martin.

Mupvc requires a different glue if you need the temp rating normal / stnd poly pipe glue softens under hot

Mupvc requires a different glue if you need the temp rating normal / stnd poly pipe glue softens under hot
The black swan cement is compatible with pvc, muPVC and even abs. The error I made is using pvc pipe not knowing the pipe I was connecting to was muPVC. I didn’t expect muPVC in a residential flat. So basically just trying to understand if I need to rip things out to change. Difficult but potentially doable. All seems ok in terms of testing for leaks.

Yes will be ok upto 70 c

Thanks Shaun, that’s good to know.
What confuses me is that pvc seems to be the general pope used in residential dwellings which as you say is good upto 70c. How does pvc cope with domestic washing machines which have 95c cycles. Or is it when it’s constant heat?

They get a bit soft / bendy if you put 95c water down them :D

Mupvc is non standard / special order where as pvc / abs is standard you can buy it anywhere etc

😊 I can imagine
I’m surprised that muPVC isn’t the standard used as opposed to pvc. I see people all the time pouring boiling water down pipes 😬

It'll only be in contact for a fraction so wont have much if any effect. Same goes for the washing machine, bet by the time it hits any pvc that might be affected would've cooled down some. Mind you, a washing machine waste hose is usually made of polyprop and that only has recommended operating temp of about 80 degC.

It'll only be in contact for a fraction so wont have much if any effect. Same goes for the washing machine, bet by the time it hits any pvc that might be affected would've cooled down some. Mind you, a washing machine waste hose is usually made of polyprop and that only has recommended operating temp of about 80 degC.
Thanks Martine
Makes good sense. Appreciate it.

Reply to Solvent welding different types of pvc in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Show us your fanciest radiators you've installed! We would love to see them! I love this Milano vertical radiator in the kitchen space. What do you think?
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock