Discuss Slow filling toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simondjuk

Last night, went to flush the toilet and the water entering the cistern was incredibly slow, almost like there was no water pressure. However there is pressure as all the taps are as they should be.

Ive not had much experience of these so can someone advise me on what I need to do?

Reading it seems there may be a seal that may have split. If thats the case, what do I need to do?

Obviously I would need to isolate the water and drain the cistern first. What do I need to take apart? Is it a case of unscrewing the part ive pointed at in the pic and replacing whats inside or is it more complicated than that?

Admittedly i borrowed a pic off the internet but its scarily similar to whats happening.

Many thanks.

diaphragms get stiff or clogged, just as one of mine has done, but as long as it keeps filling whats the issue

true, but it takes about 15 mins to refill the cistern, used to it filling in less than a minute.

Not much fun a slow filling toilet cistern if you do a load in the pot & one flush doesn't clear it & there are people in a queue outside the door!
As said, ordinary cistern ball valves have a diaphragm washer that eventually stays pushed out & stops the flow or it can be the seating (nozzle) part blocked.
Most other valves it is dirt at their washer or some have a built in filter.

I dont like wasting my time trying to fix this type! £16 for a new one and ten minutes to fit. If its a tank feed toilet you tak out the filter.

I dont like wasting my time trying to fix this type! £16 for a new one and ten minutes to fit. If its a tank feed toilet you tak out the filter.

so now you need to explain how you do this in step by step format, as our poster has no idea :)

so now you need to explain how you do this in step by step format, as our poster has no idea :)

Something tells me its easier to work out than messing with the guts. Oooo and the instrution manual that comes with the valve would probably help. Unless he cant read. But il rule that out since hes on here!

shut water to the cistern, unscrew marked bit and see if is anything restricting flow (maybe limescale or bit of debris) or if diaphragm is worn replace with new one. i would first try remove that nut and open valve to see how much water you have flowing in.(if you have isolating valve near by)

As above, get some grips, loosen the nut take the washer out and turn the service valve back on ; see what the flow is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Slow filling toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, would greatly appreciate some pointers Toilet downstairs drains slowly. First floor toilet causes bath to reflux water and make noise...
Replies
Views
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice. I live in a three floor house with a gravity fed cold water system for all of the bathrooms. The tank is in...
Replies
Views
We have recently had water hammer issues. Plumbers have installed an arrestor near our kitchen sink and a device in the toilet cistern to slow...
Replies
Views
Hi, I fix what I can around the house myself and have fixed a few toilets but I need help with this one. This toilet keeps running and stopping...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi I’ve got a very slow filling toilet which upon opening the cistern is due to the water coming very slowly out of the pipe and into the...
Replies
Views
Back