Discuss Signing off other peoples work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtsplumbing

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I seem to be getting a steady stream of people ringing me and asking if I can commission there boiler so they can get the warranty, when asked who fitted it , its either a friend, themselves or a Plumber who doesn't do gas, just had one tonight saying its a Worcester (LPG) everything is ok , just need someone o sign paperwork and fill in log book, Told him is not anything I am prepared to do, He is going to look on GS web site, bet he fids someone who will do it !! Do any of you sign off other peoples work ? What a your thoughts on engineers doing it !!

No chance, it's just feeding the fire IMHO.
Do they give you........I just couldn't afford the cost of a GSE when my boiler broke down and it was Christmas and I didn't want to ruin it for my kids carp!

for £500 id do it. inspect every inch, remove and refit the appliance, connect the gas. if they have connected the gas make sure you take the cash before you riddor them ;)

I would consider it for someone i have trained or a fellow forum member, all the gas side would have to be done by me.

that includes fitting the flue too!

I wouldn't do it if I was not involved in the install. By signing off the work you are just encouraging the installer to go out and do more boiler installs, work he should not be doing in the first place. The installer is just taking work from under your nose and earning all the money you should be making, not him. We pay to do training and reg fees etc etc and he doesn't.

I wouldn't do it if I was not involved in the install. By signing off the work you are just encouraging the installer to go out and do more boiler installs, work he should not be doing in the first place. The installer is just taking work from under your nose and earning all the money you should be making, not him. We pay to do training and reg fees etc etc and he doesn't.

i might add it would be for their portfolio benefit.
they would have to bloody pay for it though.

i might add it would be for their portfolio benefit.
they would have to bloody pay for it though.

For training purposes it is obviously ok, as long as you can watch the install and make sure its all done ok. We all have to learn and start somewhere.

For training purposes it is obviously ok, as long as you can watch the install and make sure its all done ok. We all have to learn and start somewhere.

I have a friend i will be doing it for when hes more experienced.
year 2 of his gas apprenticeship and he lost his employment.

centre said he had 6 weeks to find another employer, week two they said he had failed the course.

Poor lad

i think it comes down to the job itself and the person.
i would NEVER consider it for someone who rang up.

if a fellow forum member said i don't have lpg but i have a boiler to install, would you help.
then i would be all for it.
same goes for oil installations if it was someone i knew, it wont pay to do oftec, pay registrations to install a single boiler if all you do is gas.
im not saying just write out the paperwork, you have to do the commissioning yourself, gas run/oil line and flueing.

but it pays to help out.

you really have to weigh up the situation.
never for a diyer either just a no

That's right I spend thousands training earning the certificate, keeping up to date on the regs. Getting the analyser calibrated and all that jazz so some joker can earn a bulk on the cream of the work instead of doing their normal work ie bathrooms and drippy taps so they can offer £50 to get it signed off, eeeer No! And double NO! Oh and who did you say you were again? Oh yeah I know thanks I'll be passing your info along to gas safe.

it makes a mockery of the system. If you want that sort of work go get qualified in it like the rest of us had to.

I have one bloke who isn't gas but used to be and still gets occasional installs, he gets me in on everyone of them to do the boiler whilst he does the wet side I have no problems with that it's 50/50 and I know the boiler is done right. I'm sure it would be if he did it but it's my name on the paper and it's my registration they will remove should something go wrong.

I will sign anything off , don't even need to see appliance just text details and the long card number.

Nobs absolute nobs. Riddor them or even set them up with gas safe inspector

I'm also getting more calls like this now sign of the times i'm afraid

RIDDOR will go nowhere as the hse have no money

what manufacturers should be made to do is lock the software into NO FIRE (f off illegal installer) Mode. You then have to phone the manufacturer with your id, serial number, point of purchase, sperm sample whatever, they give you the unlock code when they are 100% certain your a competent person.

You could offer an inspection, the fee must be paid in advance. same as what they would get if they had gas safe come and check. If there is a problem you ID or AR it, or list of recommendations and your price to sort it out and sign it off. Seems a shame to turn down easy work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Signing off other peoples work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise to help. I know exactly what situation it took awhile. On the loft on the 6th floor there is a...
Replies
Views
D
we had a grant condensing boiler fitted last year, the lad works for a heating company and said would fit it. when he did he put the pipes all...
Replies
Views
My name is Ed. I'm 28 and a trainee gas engineer from Norwich. I'm reaching out and looking for a mentor. I'm currently doing a MLP course. Before...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock