Search the forum,

Discuss Shower pump problems? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blocky

Hi
I have cut into existing shower pump pipes to add another shower while an ensuite shower is isolated.
The new shower is a traditional one with a. rigid outlet. The problem is that the pump only kicks in when the bathroom taps are turned on. It works fine if you disconnect the inlet pipes. The pump is a grundfos 2 bar with 22mm connections.
Any ideas is much appreciated.
Cheers.

Sounds like not enough flow through shower to turn the pump on, how many litres a minite are you getting through the shower outlet ?

Sounds like not enough flow through shower to turn the pump on, how many litres a minite are you getting through the shower outlet ?
I Haven't measured the litres per min but when it's running it's a good flow.
The problem seems to be getting water through the valve body.

It sounds like there isn't enough flow through the pump to open the flow switches. This could be down to the distance between the bottom of your cold water storage tank and the fixed head of the shower not being enough. It should be a minimum of 250mm for the Grundfoss pumps.

Try turning the shower on and playing a magnet at each end of the pump to activate the switches. If this works the chances are that
you may need a negative head pump.

Try turning the shower to full cold. If it starts then, the flow switch on the hot side of the pump either isn't there or isn't working.

I Haven't measured the litres per min but when it's running it's a good flow.
The problem seems to be getting water through the valve body.

The shower valve needs a set amount of water passing through it to turn the shower on - measure how many litres a minute you're getting through the shower when the pumps not running and read the pump instructions to see how many litres it needs.

Are there any check valves in the shower mixer you need to remove?

It sounds like there isn't enough flow through the pump to open the flow switches. This could be down to the distance between the bottom of your cold water storage tank and the fixed head of the shower not being enough. It should be a minimum of 250mm for the Grundfoss pumps.

Try turning the shower on and playing a magnet at each end of the pump to activate the switches. If this works the chances are that
you may need a negative head pump.

Hi Guys,
Sorry about getting back late.
Definate seems like it is negative head. The distance is very close to 250mm distance between bottom of tank & fixed head.
Thanks for all the replies. they were really helpful.
Cheers

Hi Blocky,
Thanks for the feedback, it's always good to know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower pump problems? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hey, here goes and I hope it works.. never used one of these before! I have a Sagittarius Ergo mixer shower min bar of pressure required 1 bar. Connect to this is a 1.5 bar Ora Salamander pump for a positive head, this was connected by a plumber of course and we’ve had it all rigged up...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone shower in the garage which has been removed. Unfortunately the pipes are only 1.5" on that side of the house since there's no bathroom and the house is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
hi all i hope you are all well i'm planning to install my shower mixer on Saturday. today i was doing a dry fit and i wanted to show you some photos and questions. i'm using fast fixing brackets. i was wondering what length do i cut the pipe to? also my shower bar mixer has these cone shaped...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock