Search the forum,

Discuss Sealed System Pressure Issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sniperkmydj

Hello all, Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Background: Micron Glow worm 40FF boiler. Modern 4 bed, 2 floor house, 11 radiators. Leaking pressure relief valve, failed expansion tank behind boiler. Work undertaken so far: I have fitted a new expansion tank, specified by online plumbing merchant (18L) in the airing cupboard with a new 3 bar pressure relief valve. I emptied the system and filled again including inhibitor, I set the system up at 1 bar cold pressure, bled all radiators and topped up to 1 bar. All radiators are as hot as each other and only a tiny about of air comes out of the radiators when bleeding if at all. Issue: The system has been running for 2 weeks now and I still have a pressure drop from 1 bar to 0.4-0.5 bar after each use. I hear noises in the pipes, like air is moving around. The pressure I don't believe is increasing above 3 bar. I have two gauges one on the boiler in the kitchen reading 1 bar cold, and one in the airing cupboard on expansion tank reading 2-2.5 bar cold. Can someone please give me an indication of what is going on? Many thanks, Kieran

Hello all, Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Background: Micron Glow worm 40FF boiler. Modern 4 bed, 2 floor house, 11 radiators. Leaking pressure relief valve, failed expansion tank behind boiler. Work undertaken so far: I have fitted a new expansion tank, specified by online plumbing merchant (18L) in the airing cupboard with a new 3 bar pressure relief valve. I emptied the system and filled again including inhibitor, I set the system up at 1 bar cold pressure, bled all radiators and topped up to 1 bar. All radiators are as hot as each other and only a tiny about of air comes out of the radiators when bleeding if at all. Issue: The system has been running for 2 weeks now and I still have a pressure drop from 1 bar to 0.4-0.5 bar after each use. I hear noises in the pipes, like air is moving around. The pressure I don't believe is increasing above 3 bar. I have two gauges one on the boiler in the kitchen reading 1 bar cold, and one in the airing cupboard on expansion tank reading 2-2.5 bar cold. Can someone please give me an indication of what is going on? Many thanks, Kieran

You've not set the expansion vessel pressure by the sounds of it.
if you work on the boiler you're supposed to be gas safe registered, you know that don't you ?

What did you do with the original expansion vessel that was part of the boiler?
If you are not Gas Safe qualified you cannot work at the gas boilers. (I am a heating engineer, but I am not gas, so can't touch them.)
You are better to pay a heating engineer to check the system and any work on boiler needs to be a gas engineer

Many thanks for your responses.

The expansion tank behind the boiler has been left connected and in-situ. I have not touched the boiler as I am not gas safe. I have spoken to three local plumbers who have all advised that I am ok to work on any part of the system providing it is not the boiler.

The expansion vessel I fitted came pre-charged at 1.5 bar, should I reduce this to 1 bar to match cold pressure?

If its not exceeding 3 bar, how can air get in as no water is being vented?

You've not set the expansion vessel pressure by the sounds of it.
if you work on the boiler you're supposed to be gas safe registered, you know that don't you ?

Many thanks for your responses.

The expansion tank behind the boiler has been left connected and in-situ. I have not touched the boiler as I am not gas safe. I have spoken to three local plumbers who have all advised that I am ok to work on any part of the system providing it is not the boiler.

The expansion vessel I fitted came pre-charged at 1.5 bar, should I reduce this to 1 bar to match cold pressure?

If its not exceeding 3 bar, how can air get in as no water is being vented?

Let the pressure out of the system until it reaches zero.
Set the vessel pressure to 0.8-1.0 bar.
Recharge system to 1.0-1.2 bar.
You can set both to same if you like.

Let the pressure out of the system until it reaches zero.
Set the vessel pressure to 0.8-1.0 bar.
Recharge system to 1.0-1.2 bar.
You can set both to same if you like.

Thank you for your response.

I have followed your instructions and after running the system for 2 hours now, the pressure on both gauges is at 2.5 bar, which is still too high. What do I try next?

Is the vessel big enough ?
I know you have 11 rads but you need to know water vol to calculate vessel size.

What temp have you got boiler on ?

Is the vessel big enough ?
I know you have 11 rads but you need to know water vol to calculate vessel size.

What temp have you got boiler on ?

I presume so, as the plumbers murchant I purchased it from took my details and recommended the 18l version. The vessel seems much larger in size than the original behind the boiler.
The boiler does not have a temperature gauge as such, just a dial, which is 3 quarters of the way round .
Maybe I should calculate the volume myself, how is best to do that?

Thank you for your time

He has not worked on the boiler,just fitted a remote EV,my first thoughts would be why a 18l EV ? 12l would have been oversized but thats what i would have used,Either the vessel you have is too big and not absorbing the system expansion rate or you have a leak somewhere

What would you like to see, the expansion tank setup?

One added bit of info, the water side of the expansion tank doesn't get warm, just checked. What if I don't have water in it, air pocket, would it impact on its operation?

Pictures needed

He has not worked on the boiler,just fitted a remote EV,my first thoughts would be why a 18l EV ? 12l would have been oversized but thats what i would have used,Either the vessel you have is too big and not absorbing the system expansion rate or you have a leak somewhere

I did query the size, but they sent the calculations to the manufacturer. I do also have a couple of double skinned radiators which will add to the volume requirement of the expansion vessel. Leak is possible, as hear tinking/ dripping in the wall cavities, but no one agrees with me lol

After the changes I made last night to the vessel I got home to find the system sitting cold at 3 bar. I have drained back to 1 bar. What the hell is going on lol
Pictures needed

Attachments

• WP_20161108_01_25_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161108_01_25_23_Pro.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 12
  • WP_20161108_01_25_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161108_01_25_56_Pro.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 11
Reading your initial post, the pressure gauge near the expansion vessel must be getting to 2.5bar some how, perhaps fill the system to 1 bar then shut off the cold main, if the pressure doesn't rise to 2.5 again then the system must be filling from some where, eg a faulty filling loop

Or perhaps the gauge on the boiler is faulty and your overfilling the system?

Looking at your pictures the filling loop looks like its constantly open, shut the valves and disconnect the loop after filling. This way you know for certain the heating system can't be constantly filling. Also there are two filling loops, one near the vessel and one near the pump and PRV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealed System Pressure Issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock