Search the forum,

Discuss sanitary silicone sealant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
any tips on applying this,i find it very hard to work with and whats the best thing to use when you get it every where,

use baby wipes that contain citric acid you will find it much easier to work with

no but have used a make plumbers gold i think that has a nozzle you can angle

Best tip is not to use cheap ÂŁ1 a tube mastic, use a good quality mastic to make your life easier. I use Dow Corning sanitary mastic at around ÂŁ5 a tube, its really good to work with and doesn't smear all over the place if you go a bit heavy handed.

Also once you have applied the mastic from the gun, spray it with a lightly diluted washing up liquid mixture. Then spray your finger and tool it in, it won't stick to your finger and get everywhere.

I've heard about this spraying the silicon bead with soapy water before tooling it up. I would worry about it not adhearing to the background properly.

I always masking tape top and bottom if it has to be 100% perfect.

Either way, I then use a soapy finger or I have a plastic tool which you push along the joint and it takes the excess off while leaving a perfect joint.

If it ever goes a bit squify I use 'Big Wipes' to clean it up. They'll shift it, even after its been on a few minutes.

Oh and just so you know, 'Big Wipes' won't damage chrome on brassware, but it does dry to a misty looking finish and require light buffing off with a dry soft cloth or tissue.

Plumbcentre sell a tool for masticing, this is one of the jobs I cant
stand you can install a bathroom and it looks great and then comes
the mastic....this can make a great install look crap. But like tweak
says get yourself a ÂŁ1 spray bottle and get handy with your finger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use the fugiboy kit, the best tool you can buy for masticing. I used to hate doing masticing around baths/basins but now I don't mind doing it, looks really professional once its complete.

That is one thing to worry about Danny, you must make sure you are good with the gun before hand and double check it has stuck to every edge before spraying the mastic.

i would be careful using just your fingers when my old man was in hospital a few years back,guy in the bed next to him was seriously ill with blood poisoning from silicone sealant he was a window fitter your skins micro porous use gloves

My tiler friend uses a piece of wood that he shapes like a large carpenters pencil.He applies the silicone then sprays it with water only and runs the wood along the joint,the excess silicone runs up the wood and can be wiped off. It's quite an art and he makes it look very easy,I'm still trying to get the hang of it and find it easier to use my finger sometimes!!

Gasman is right but I do use my finger,in my defence do not do that many now and size 12 fingers do the job well,you can get round this by cutting the finger tips from ends of sergical gloves and using,also would say do not put to much on,many cut nozzle tip to big,put to much on then mess up as have to remove some from joint

Last edited by a moderator:
Its off a pro tiler online shop, just asked cuz i always end up covered in the stuff

Try a small plastic spoon, the type you get that are disposable and spray some diluted washing up liquid on the silicone first. Use the spoon inside (the bit you put the sugar in!) to smooth out the joint, perfect results every time. For thin joints use a ice lolly stick with the washing up liquid. Use masking tape with both methods and cut your cartridge nozzel at 45 degrees and 3/4 of the way down. Use silicone sparingly, too much makes a messy job. Be aware that the acetic acid in silicone may have an adverse affect on other materials round about where your applying it. Tilesafe used in wetrooms dissolves with silicone and keep it away from some brands of plastic pushfit pipe! The best and safest all round sealant is a polysulphide based mastic.

To get to them hard to reach places like behind taps push 2 or 3 nozzles together, works a treat.

saw all the professional mastic guys using the piece of wood trick, they make it look so easy and when i do it its a nightmare lol. Got a tool from tradepoint a stanley one to scrape away the excess, haven't tried it yet though was only about ÂŁ2

baby wipes lads forget your bits of sticks and jml tat ÂŁ1 for 80 in most places as long as its got citric acid they will work,silicone jobs become easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sanitary silicone sealant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Toilet is leaking into the bowl. This one pushes in with a half turn but I can't find one anywhere.
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock