Discuss sanitary silicone sealant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My tiler friend uses a piece of wood that he shapes like a large carpenters pencil.He applies the silicone then sprays it with water only and runs the wood along the joint,the excess silicone runs up the wood and can be wiped off. It's quite an art and he makes it look very easy,I'm still trying to get the hang of it and find it easier to use my finger sometimes!!

Gasman is right but I do use my finger,in my defence do not do that many now and size 12 fingers do the job well,you can get round this by cutting the finger tips from ends of sergical gloves and using,also would say do not put to much on,many cut nozzle tip to big,put to much on then mess up as have to remove some from joint

Last edited by a moderator:
Its off a pro tiler online shop, just asked cuz i always end up covered in the stuff

Try a small plastic spoon, the type you get that are disposable and spray some diluted washing up liquid on the silicone first. Use the spoon inside (the bit you put the sugar in!) to smooth out the joint, perfect results every time. For thin joints use a ice lolly stick with the washing up liquid. Use masking tape with both methods and cut your cartridge nozzel at 45 degrees and 3/4 of the way down. Use silicone sparingly, too much makes a messy job. Be aware that the acetic acid in silicone may have an adverse affect on other materials round about where your applying it. Tilesafe used in wetrooms dissolves with silicone and keep it away from some brands of plastic pushfit pipe! The best and safest all round sealant is a polysulphide based mastic.

To get to them hard to reach places like behind taps push 2 or 3 nozzles together, works a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sanitary silicone sealant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The...
Replies
Views
I'm at the stage of my shower replacement where I have a new shower head to screw into the wall pipes. I tried it, turned on the shower, and find...
Replies
Views
Hey All-- New here as this is something I have not had to do on this scale before. I am renovating our laundry room, which currently only has the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock