Search the forum,

Discuss Shower screen reinsert problem in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The small glass panel is supposed to slide into the wall channel, and some holes in the side of the channel (inside the cubicle) should align with some holes in the frame attached to the glass panel, allowing for some screws to go in and securing the frame in place. My problem is that the frame isn't going deep enough into the channel. Normally I'd take the rubber mallet to it, but I'd probably end up with glass everywhere.....

I could try opening up the channel with some quick release grips, but that might cause stability problems, and open up the possibility of future leakage. Alternatively, I could try lubricating the frame a bit with some silicone lubricant - whilst this is unlikely to interfere with the silicone sealant that i'll be applying on the inside of the channel where it meets the tray (like how it was when I removed the glass panel), I'm not sure that this is the best approach. Can anyone suggest a better method?

Also, the frame on the other side of the glass panel (which has the pivot hinge) was glued to the tray, but as I don't have the original installation instructions, I don't know what adhesive is best to use. What would people recommend? Liquid nails?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1707402046431.jpg
    1707402046431.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 1707402046457.jpg
    1707402046457.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 17
Looking at your picture there appears to be silicone sealant within the wall profile where it meets the tray, this could be what’s stopping the frame from sliding back fully?

Any shower cubicle parts that require “gluing” I would use a good quality clear silicone and definitely not liquid nails.

Looking at your picture there appears to be silicone sealant within the wall profile where it meets the tray, this could be what’s stopping the frame from sliding back fully?

Any shower cubicle parts that require “gluing” I would use a good quality clear silicone and definitely not liquid nails.

Thanks Ben-gee - I don't think so as it's a full 15mm of the fame which is protruding. I'll try a silicone lubricant.

Will use sealant as an adhesive to then - I thought a 'proper' adhesive may be need in this situation as the pre-existing stuff was all hard as opposed to rubbery.

Following some advice, I started with the lower corner and managed to push that in to the back of the channel, shunted it to the bottom and gently pushed the rest of the frame in. Unfortunately it doesn't go all the way to the bottom, so the frame sits 1-2mm higher than the top of the channel, however the screw holes of both the frame and the channel align so it'll be held in place.

Regarding the side of the frame which was previously glued (i.e. the side with the hinge) - a large glass door will be resting on the hinge (it's a single door shower) which weighs approx 30-40kg. Will silicone sealant still be adequate here, or should I use CT1 or similar?

Reply to Shower screen reinsert problem in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock