Discuss Replacement boiler, which would you choose? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fred Bloggs

We have a (getting on for) 20 year old Baxi Solo boiler running our fully pumped heating system. It is serviced regularly and has never had a fault. We're getting a bit nervous of the future reliability of the old Baxi so we have been considering a new Weissman boiler as a replacement mainly because I think looking at the specs and warranty it should be a reliable unit when many of the condensing boilers I know of seem to have various troubles and/or short lives. My regular heating guy says we should just fit a new type condensing Baxi Solo if we want a new boiler as it would be a very straight forward job to swap it. We want to keep the hot water cylinder and it seems that we can have the new type Baxi way cheaper than a Weissman which would be fitted by their local installer who is an unknown quantity to us. I'm tempted to go with our trustworthy regular installer and go for the new Baxi on the basis that the money I'd save over the Weissman would easily pay for any problems down the line with the Baxi and leave money to spare. What do the experts think? Thanks.

If you have a trusted regular guy, then go witrh his advice. The new solo is a good boiler, and should be a straight swap.
I have only ever seen two viessmanns and didnt like them. Also they do have an issue (well down here at least) with their spares.

Go for the Baxi, but dont expect it to last as long as you current one!

Thanks, makes a lot of sense to do that, stick with what I know.

cant see why you would go against the advice of someone you describe as trusted ? he is probably recomending a boiler he knows and will be capable of maintaining for you

I agree, the feedback here confirms my feelings to stick with the guy we have known for ages and know he'll look after us.

Why fix something that isn't broken?

just start saving up now, so you'll be ready for when you boiler does go down, then use the guy you trust.

Go with your local chaps recommendation.
I do not like Baxi or any combi manufacturers because I hate Combi boilers and they seem to be fitted everywhere
Open vent or system though Baxi is a good choice
Reliable and affordable and a good warranty

Thanks, unanimous view here, then stay with a Baxi. Why change it? After nearly 20 years fault free, we've had our use out of it. And I can get it changed before the worst of the weather arrives. Thanks

The new solo is an awful boiler compared to the old one. They have soo many known problems with them, I would avoid the solo personally.

The new solo is an awful boiler compared to the old one. They have soo many known problems with them, I would avoid the solo personally.
Thanks, care to elaborate on the known issues please? I can talk to my installer about them if you could give me an idea what the issues are please. Thanks again.

I was in a similar situation to yourself when deciding what boiler to replace our 15 year old Solo with last year. We decided to wait and change for a combi, after all we have a cylinder without an immersion heater, so once the boiler goes off, the water goes with it anyway! But the old girl gave up the ghost and I repaired it, then it gave up again and I repaired it, then a week later it gave up again. 3 strikes and out I'm afraid. PCB had gone and the cheapest I could get one fast was nearly ÂŁ200, which is ÂŁ200 off a new boiler. We were forced a week before Christmas to fit a new Solo. But believe me, it's not straight swap. The gas is in a different place and the flow and return are the other way round. Also the flue is on the top of the boiler rather than coming out the back or side of the boiler. Much more work than you would think, plus you need to find a waste for the condense. If your old Solo is installed the same as ours was (they all seem to follow the same pattern on these) the gas is in the wall and will need chasing out too. Proper pain.

But, it fired up with now problems, was burning perfectly, gets the house warm quicker and my god is it quiet! No problems just yet, but I have been to a few at work that have had noise issues, vibrating. I think this is mainly due bad installation though on systems that are dirty and old. Baxi give a 2 year warranty and are very good, they come out next day with the parts on the van.

Not got any experience with Viesmann, which says it all really, no one fits them.

Last edited:
Thanks that's really useful experience. The installer we use was here servicing our old Solo when we were chatting about a replacement so he knows the installation very well indeed. He told me that he could easily swap it in a day with very few real changes to anything. We are lucky in that the washing machine drain passes under the boiler on the same wall so the condensate drain will stay indoors. He also said that he has very good experience with Baxi if he needs any spares or warranty claims too. I think we will 99% go for the new Solo now. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement boiler, which would you choose? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock