Discuss Removing rubbish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will normally take all rubbish away with me, I'm lucky enough to be able to burn anything that will go on a bonfire. Around my area the bin-men are also very accommodating, on more than one occasion I've left more than a few bags of rubble from a bathroom re-fit that they've taken without any hassle. If the customer is at home I take it back to mine to leave out for them.

if its a mate i leave it for them, if its a proper customer i will take it away.

its not mine so you can keep it,

i know some will do the dishes and make the beds too, but not me!

comes with the price(minus skip cost)

I tale rubbish away unless it's a small amount and will go in the customer's bin / recycling without over filling it. I can get rid of card for free to a recycler in town and the plastic protectors go in the plastic recycling. Wood goes in my stove.

Rubbish under the floorboards is one of my pet hates (as well as being a fire hazard) and I always vacuum under there before replacing boards. I did once have a good find - loads of cigarette packets from 100 years ago and a couple of beer bottles with original labels. I put them on ebay and did quite well.

Last edited:
Written in the contract all rubbish is left on site, (agreed location beforehand) in manageable rubble bags or flat packed tied up cardboard. If they pay for skip will gladly put it straight into that for them. My van is for me, my lunch and tools not gash. My life is a lot happier and easier since adopted the approach

I normally take all the rubbish with me unless there's a skip on the job, put it in a big box trailer I've got and take it to a tip when full normally a month or 6 weeks to fill it, burn any card etc tho!
takes a morning or so to do a tip run tho.

I don't take my rubbish away. I have no way to dispose of it so it stays on the job. If I could take it to the tip, I would. Simple.

I explain this to customer beforehand, if there's a lot of rubbish (bathroom) they order a skip or do multiple tip runs in their own vehicles, if it's just a boiler and rads, chances are it can be moved in one run to the tip or fit in the bin without too much nuisance.

I didn't spend 26k on a car to fill it full of other peoples shyte cos the council won't let me use the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
We take all rubbish or arrange for it to be removed from site.
But I can understand totally the reasons given by some for not taking it - it seems the important thing is to communicate with customer before hand so they know what to expect.

We are going to be more expensive but that cost covers waste removal. Not removing waste makes sense if you need to keep prices low. We don't compete in the budget plumbing market.

I don't understand how you get rid of it if you take it away though?

Obviously a bigger firm with a commercial unit can have a skip outside, but I work out of my house, my bins are the same size as everyone else's and I can't have countless other peoples rubbish in them. Especially now they only get collected every 2 weeks

For us more than half the time we have skip at one of our jobs so when we take rubbish from one site we are putting it in the skip at another job.
If not then we have two options - take it to commercial waste disposal. In our area that is not out of the way.
Or quite often we pay licenced waste carriers to collect it - often from outside my house.

In fact this is why I resent the ÂŁ150 waste carriers licence because we are always passing it on to another business who also have waste carriers licence.
None of the business waste gets put with our household waste - not even cardboard packaging - as we have too much of it. We are a small business too but just a little bigger than a sole trader.

There are legit licenced waste collectors (man in van) who do drive around and pick up plumbers waste from many plumbers in our area - sure it happens in all towns. Get to know them and just text them your job details, it can be cheaper than a skip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing rubbish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Hello there, I have quite a story and a looking for some advice here. On Thursday during the cold snap our hot water stopped working (in the...
Replies
Views
We had a Gloworm Energy 7 30r Boiler fitted in Jan 22 to replace a British Gas Boiler (which was a Glowworm Rebranded ) when the heat exchanger...
Replies
Views
Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point...
Replies
Views
V
Hoping you can help us with a heating system question that has caused a lot of anxiety for us as a family. Just grateful for some proper...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock