Search the forum,

Discuss Remove sink waste stuck with silicone in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My bathroom was installed a few years ago and the sink waste has been glued in with silicone. Doesn't seem like just a bit, even the overflow holes are completely blocked with the stuff.

It has become a bit corroded and I have a new one to put in but all the silicone means I can't get the old one out. I can turn it a tiny fraction but it just springs back as soon as I let go.

Any suggestions on how to get it out?

When you put it back, do the next guy (probably you) a favour and use "plumbers mait" not silly-con ! 👍
Forgive the original plumber.
He probably thought to use silicon so the sink waste won't leak for it's lifetime.

God Forbid, the sink waste corrodes and has to be replaced.

I'd put fault on the sink waste manufacturer for inferior product rather than the silicon sealing it in.

Reply to Remove sink waste stuck with silicone in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My bathroom Basin was installed some years ago by a professional plumber. For whatever reason, the waste was fitted using silicone rather than plumber’s mate. The floor was originally tiled, but I replaced it with high quality vinyl, when fractures began to appear in the grout. As part of this...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm installing my first Belfast/butler kitchen sink. It came with the waste and stainless steel drain. To my surprise the kit only has one washer in which the instructions clearly state that it should be placed underneath the sink. My question is, shouldn't there be a washer between the...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
D
small hole in plastic waste pipe which is the better fix ? Hi there need some advice please, i have drilled a small hole in the plastic waste pipe which serves the sink & shower in the loft when doing some work in the toilet underneath on the ceiling i have cut away the plasterboard to reveal...
Replies
Views
I have recently moved house.it appears the shower drain has become blocked and there is no inner cup to remove and clean. I believe the waste is a Coral shower part E6704 as in my pictures. My question is does this part unscrew to enable me to pull it out to gain access to clean the waste and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock