Search the forum,

Discuss Realistic price for new boiler install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simbob

What's a realistic price for a new boiler install?

I've had a couple of quotes in for this and one is £1500 (bang on!) and another is £1800 ish, when asked, one didn't explain it very well (other didn't respond), leaving me questioning why is one so much more and if the boiler is around £1000 retail (i have looked both up online and prices are similar), assuming the trade pro is getting a discount on that, it seems a lot of money for the labour (quoted a couple of days work). Are there other parts not included in the cost of the boiler itself?

I'm not saying either of these are trying anything on, i just wanted to know what i should be paying for and what is a reasonable price for an install of a boiler costing that sort of money (sorry don't have spec to hand but one was a Worcester Bosch GreenStar of some sort.

Impossible Q to answer without being there. IE Do any pipes need altering, can the flue of the new boiler take the same path as the existing flue, controls need changing, power flush or not, the list goes on.
Whoever does the job has to allow for a free of charge visit(s) if any complications arise, then the unseen costs of van insurance & running costs of said van, advertising, training, income tax, renewing licence to be passed as a gas safe engineer, replacing worn out tools needed to do the job and again the list goes on so don`t just look at the price of the boiler and say "How much?"
Be sure whoever you chose knows the boiler of choice and is on the gas safe register or the man that arrives on the horse rather then in a van will no doubt be unable to be contacted once he has your hard earned money.
In a sub forum you will find "I`m looking for a plumber ...." section so consider placing a request for someone to come and quote after all there are no cowboys on this forum.

I know BG are hugely expensive, but then they have the massive TV advertising budget to pay for and only idiots would go there (like car dealership garages), i'm not complaining, i just like to know costs involved when i buy things - is that such an unreasonable request?

When you buy a car. Do you buy the cheapest one you can find or do you hunt for the right package with price only as a singular consideration amongst many other important factors such as the dealer and warranty and service track record etc..

Often with gas fitting the cheapest will be a boiler slung on a wall with a poor installation quality. I.e poor controls and no prior system cleansing so on an so forth.

When i go shopping i like to buy pork pies. I dont get smart price anymore because it looks like a pie and feels like a pie but i always end up dissapointed and always wish i had of spent more on a better tasting pie !!! (LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you expecting that should be included with the boiler. Without knowing what system you have or what its being upgraded to it could range massively.

I know BG are hugely expensive, but then they have the massive TV advertising budget to pay for and only idiots would go there (like car dealership garages), i'm not complaining, i just like to know costs involved when i buy things - is that such an unreasonable request?

No your not being unreasonable however you do need someone there "eyes on" AND someone who will answer your questions, ask yourself why should they not be able to give answers?

Simbob, you won't get a firm answer to this question, because no-one can tell without coming to see the job.

But in answer to your questions, yes, there are several material elements which may be required. For example,

Gas supply may require uprating
Alterations to other internal pipework
Controls will almost certainly require replacing
Pump (if separate) frequently fails after a boiler change
Flue (possibly including bends, extensions, plume kits etc)
Flushing chemicals
Inhibitor
Magnetic filter
Either hire of flushing machine, or use of the installers own.
Aftercare, call-backs etc
Registering with GasSafe

And thats just off the top of my head, and doesn't include all the other overheads of the installers business, like running his vehicle, maintaining several thousand pounds worth of tools, insurance, gas-safe qualification, accountancy, etc etc,

However, there is always someone who will do it a little be cheaper.

tattoo.jpg

When you buy a car. Do you buy the cheapest one you can find or do you hunt for the right package with price only as a singular consideration amongst many other important factors such as the dealer and warranty and service track record etc..

Often with gas fitting the cheapest will be a boiler slung on a wall with a poor installation quality. I.e poor controls and no prior system cleansing so on an so on.

And most likely no manufactures warranty !!!

What boiler are you looking at normally my prices are around 1800 to 2k for a Worcester normally about £600 labour for combi swap

Simbob, you won't get a firm answer to this question, because no-one can tell without coming to see the job.

But in answer to your questions, yes, there are several material elements which may be required. For example,

Gas supply may require uprating
Alterations to other internal pipework
Controls will almost certainly require replacing
Pump (if separate) frequently fails after a boiler change
Flue (possibly including bends, extensions, plume kits etc)
Flushing chemicals
Inhibitor
Magnetic filter
Either hire of flushing machine, or use of the installers own.
Aftercare, call-backs etc
Registering with GasSafe

And thats just off the top of my head, and doesn't include all the other overheads of the installers business, like running his vehicle, maintaining several thousand pounds worth of tools, insurance, gas-safe qualification, accountancy, etc etc,

However, there is always someone who will do it a little be cheaper.

View attachment 24434

TRVs

To be honest, a decent installer would give you an idea of what needs to be done other than just taking the old one off and putting the new one. So if neither are answering you I would reach out to a third but it tends to be a very busy time of year for swap outs

I've had a couple of quotes in for this and one is £1500 (bang on!) and another is £1800 ish, when asked, one didn't explain it very well (other didn't respond), leaving me questioning why is one so much more and if the boiler is around £1000 retail (i have looked both up online and prices are similar), assuming the trade pro is getting a discount on that, it seems a lot of money for the labour (quoted a couple of days work). Are there other parts not included in the cost of the boiler itself?

I'm not saying either of these are trying anything on, i just wanted to know what i should be paying for and what is a reasonable price for an install of a boiler costing that sort of money (sorry don't have spec to hand but one was a Worcester Bosch GreenStar of some sort.

Have a read here:

The cost of installing a boiler - Boilers reviews - Heating water and electricity - Which? Home & Garden

If it's straight swap I would be around 1800 mark depending on boiler. But that all depends on the area you are in.

What you have to remember is that even though you can get a boiler for £1000.00 off the internet you need other bits as well like pipe, fittings, controls etc. Also if the installer does get a discount he will add some on and quite rightly so as well, after all you don't pay the same as tesco do for bread as they have other costs to cover.

Ideally you want to know what you are having done, what controls are being touched/ changed and see what you are getting for your money.

Cheap doesn't always mean bad but most of the ones I've seen do look like they have been thrown in. And expensive doesn't mean the best what you need to find is the happy medium.

It's a difficult one and comes up so often. We can't really comment specifically as we can't see your set up or what needs doing. On the flip side of it we as the installer are actually allowed to make a profit. I constantly have customers who think the price of an install is just the price of materials and the bloke fitting it shouldn't make anything

No not unreasonable to ask the question, but unreasonable to expect an accurate figure without any more info
Way too many variables
I would ring at least one other and ask him/her to explain exactly whats involved and what you get for your money
Just a FYI, if you are charged £300 per day, not all of that is profit there are quite a bit of running costs to cover out of that

Simplest answer is we don't discuss pricing on the open forum. Always ends in tears.

Why not put a request here [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Realistic price for new boiler install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone! Parents not used the boiler since 2013/2014, since installing a new wetroom for them they have now decided its worth getting the...
Replies
Views
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work...
Replies
Views
About 5 year ago, I had a new central heating system (radiators) installed to replace my old warm air underfloor system. The warm air side of the...
Replies
Views
H
I need some help and advice with a boiler issue. We have F29 and then F29 appearing on our new boiler. This happened after few days where water...
Replies
Views
I must be cursed The new boiler that was fitted yesterday had a problem on commissioning, when the central heating was turned on the boiler fired...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock