Search the forum,

Discuss rain water coming into Ideal Combi boiler through flue and causing main circuit board to blow. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

The main circuit board has gone 3 times in the last 3 months after heavy rain. I have a maintenance contract with British Gas but they will not keep replacing the board FOC. How can I stop his happening? The boiler is 7 years old and I have not had this problem until recently so what will have changed?

The main circuit board has gone 3 times in the last 3 months after heavy rain. I have a maintenance contract with British Gas but they will not keep replacing the board FOC. How can I stop his happening? The boiler is 7 years old and I have not had this problem until recently so what will have changed?
Maybe the flue is too steep if it's a condensing boiler.
If it is a standard efficiency boiler it should be running slightly downhill toward outside.

Air intake on condensing boilers usually has a 'stop' to prevent water ingress into the air supply section or the air intake is at the base of the terminal.

Can you send a photo?
Has BG Engineer not made a suggestion?

Maybe the flue is too steep if it's a condensing boiler.
If it is a standard efficiency boiler it should be running slightly downhill toward outside.

Air intake on condensing boilers usually has a 'stop' to prevent water ingress into the air supply section or the air intake is at the base of the terminal.

Can you send a photo?
Has BG Engineer not made a suggestion?
BG engineer suggested fixing some sort of shield to the wall on 3 sides of the pipe to hopefully deflect the rain. It is an Ideal combi 30. Sorry can't seem to attach picture of flue outlet. It is high up on side wall of house.

BG engineer suggested fixing some sort of shield to the wall on 3 sides of the pipe to hopefully deflect the rain. It is an Ideal combi 30. Sorry can't seem to attach picture of flue outlet. It is high up on side wall of house.
Has the flue been inspected for corrosion?
Maybe water has started to enter from the pipe itself as opposed to the terminal.

Im with Last Plumber... 3 times in 3 months and not once in the previous 7 years...doesn’t sound like an environment/weather/flue install issue.

I’d be dismantling the flue to check for a dodgy seal allowing condense from the flue in to the air intake.

Without eyes on, the following is a gut feeling... but installing a shield doesn’t sound particularly correct. You’d have to conform to minimum distances which would likely make the shield ineffective.

Im with Last Plumber... 3 times in 3 months and not once in the previous 7 years...doesn’t sound like an environment/weather/flue install issue.

I’d be dismantling the flue to check for a dodgy seal allowing condense from the flue in to the air intake.

Without eyes on, the following is a gut feeling... but installing a shield doesn’t sound particularly correct. You’d have to conform to minimum distances which would likely make the shield ineffective.
Yes. I will try to get that done. Thanks for your help. The problem with a BG contract is that the engineer will fix the immediate problem without sorting out the cause.

Is the gutter split? I’ve seen water run down the brick wall and into the boiler, also see rose bushes growing round the flue causing water to run inside.
if it was a split flue, I mean split enough for a lot of water/condensate to pass from inner to outer, then the burn would be bad, recirculating flue gasses which the BG guy would pick up on straight away.... seeing as that’s the only thing they can use is a FGA lol

Is the gutter split? I’ve seen water run down the brick wall and into the boiler, also see rose bushes growing round the flue causing water to run inside.
if it was a split flue, I mean split enough for a lot of water/condensate to pass from inner to outer, then the burn would be bad, recirculating flue gasses which the BG guy would pick up on straight away.*** seeing as that’s the only thing they can use is a FGA lol
You like to think it would get picked up...

if it was a split flue, I mean split enough for a lot of water/condensate to pass from inner to outer, then the burn would be bad, recirculating flue gasses which the BG guy would pick up on straight away.*** seeing as that’s the only thing they can use is a FGA lol
No. There is nothing like that. All the guttering and fascia boards were renewed just a few years ago. The problem occurs when the wind and rain blows from South or South East straight on to the flue. Luckily the rain usually tends to come from West or north here in South Wales but we have had some from the south recently causing the problem

Reply to rain water coming into Ideal Combi boiler through flue and causing main circuit board to blow. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My son moved to a new build home in Cornwall last November. Yesterday evening he found a quantity of water beneath the Ideal Combi boiler and a steady water drip from the boiler. After clearing up and putting a container beneath the boiler, he went to bed. This morning the water drip had...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
W
Hi all, I've got a bit of a strange issue relating to my Ideal Logic Combi 35 which has recently started displaying a F2 error when trying to use the central heating system. The boiler works fine when using hot water, however when I try to turn on the central heating system the boiler works...
Replies
Views
Williams25
W
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi, We have a Kinetico 2020c HE Water Softener, fitted in 2008 in our loft to the cold water tank in a vented system with a conventional boiler. All good, was working fine. Recently our old Potterton Suprima conventional boiler packed up and we decided to change to a Vaillant EcoTec COMBI...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock