Search the forum,

Discuss Rad Valves - can you swap the TRV? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys,

My first post so be gentle! I want to get this rad and the TRV will be sticking out as per this picture:

Coco-Brass-Wall-Mounted-Heated-Towel-Rail-UK6H.jpg

I'll be replacing this with my own TRV which will mean the whole thing sticks out 12-13cm from the wall (far too much).

My question is - can I swap the valve connections around so the TRV can face downwards instead? This would make it only stick out maybe 8cm.

Here is a picture of the internals of a standard angled valve:

va017_phoenix_minamilist_angled_radiator_valves_anthracite.png

Don't know if it's possible to just swap them around or if there's a special name of what you need to buy if I want it to angle downwards?

Thanks,

Rajtastic

If the valve is bi directional I don't see an issue. Other than that you can elbow the pipes upwards and use a straight trv and turn the head inwards.

Not sure if a downwards facing valve would be more prone to clogging from system particles?

Thanks a lot guys. It this rad:

Antique Brass Towel Rails & Brass Towel Radiators - Coco

It has an option for thermostatic valves so I'm assuming this means it's not?

The Tado Smart Radiator Thermostat says it can be mounted upside down so sounds like it'll be okay to mount? Pipe change would be fine as worst case scenario. Think I just need to find a valve which is bi-directional.

Be good to hear confirmation from others just in case...

You need to check the manufacturer's instructions for the specific valve you intend to install to see whether it can be upside down. Many say 'no'.

IMO you'd be better off installing it horizontally and then using a 90° elbow to go though the wall from running parallel to the wall.

Reply to Rad Valves - can you swap the TRV? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am trying to fit a Hive Radiator valve into my existing TRV valve body to make them automatic so have bought a Hive valve to try it out. I have done this before in another install but the valves were Danfoss and directly compatible with Hive. I am looking for an adapter that will be able...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on the other side I noticed a blank top with no valve or peg sticking out that allows you to turn on or off (see pictures). I checked the other rads in...
Replies
Views
Rad is leaking from TRV valve, seems to be seeping out of where the pin comes up. I tried tightening up the nut below the pin, but that didn't help. I then looked online and saw that removing the nut and packing with some plumbers tape may help, but whenever I try to remove the nut a load of...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6 other radiators and 2 bathroom towel radiators are just normal valve s. We live in a 4-bed, 3 storey house, as converted loft. Common problems were...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock