Search the forum,

Discuss Primary Ventilated Stack Replacement - DIY or Professional? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello.

We woke up in a VERY smelly house this morning. We'd been getting the odd pungent whiff here and there ever since we'd taken the dining room ceiling down to assess the condition of/replace some joists. ( - the internal waste stack runs through the dining room).

After checking that the noxious odour wasn't the result of my Wife's morning oblutions, I checked the waste connections on all the sanitory appliances and found no issues. I checked that all the traps were still sealed, and they were. After that, I started to look at the stack and noticed that it is of the Marley push fit variety, and now being almost 50 years old, it looks like some of the joins in the the stack are leaking with evidence of seepage.

All of the waste pipes look to be connected by push fit too.

I'm contemplating DIY replacement - at the moment it is not an issue to bash out the plaster covering the stack (precautions taken for asbestos) and with the right access equipment, get onto the roof and remove/replace the stack top vent. Our home is a typical 70s built 2-story suburban dwelling.

My only concern is that the bottom piece of the stack with it's long radius bend is embedded in conrete turning a relatively straight forward job into a complicated one, if I were to attempt it myself. There is a push fit connection at ground level. I'm figuring if I use PVC pipe with solvent welded joints to replace all of the stack above ground, I could leave existing bottom piece in situ, perhaps replacing the O ring?

Am I clinically insane for even considering this? I would of course consult Part G of the building regulations before starting any work.

Thanks in advance for your help.
PP

Last edited:
Depends on your skill level it’s doable but if you haven’t done it before it will take time

If you have the tools and are handy at diy then crack on but be warned its not as easy as it looks especially if you are going to solvent weld pipework , personally I would replace with push fit on the main stack good luck. Kop

Reply to Primary Ventilated Stack Replacement - DIY or Professional? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm wondering if this is allowed or will work in the UK. We currently have all our waste water connecting to a single vented stack. The pipes from the toilets etc connect to the vertical stack via a horizontal pipe as you would expect. I'm about to renew all the soil pipes. We have 2 entry...
Replies
Views
Morning all, as always can never find an exact existing thread / discussion where I don't feel like I'm making one too many assumptions. Can I get a quick sense check on the below, always wanting to work 1 step ahead, eventually planning to add an en-suite to my existing loft conversion. Got...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
Attached is a ground floor picture of the soil pipe in our home. There was originally a toilet which has now been permanently capped off and you can also see a sink waste pipe attached. My plan is to drill out one of the 50mm sockets directly opposite the current sink waste for a new 40mm...
Replies
Views
Hello all! I'm a first time DIY-er and I am taking out a new build crappy vanity unit to replace with a wooden vanity with countertop basin. I'm at the demolition stage! I've managed to remove the old vanity and I've got a waste pipe in front of me going straight into the ground. I always...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock