Discuss Particulate in hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mikeycollins

I have a megaflow system and have noticed that if I pour a glass of hot water and leave it to stand that small white particles are floating in the water at the top of the glass. Any ideas what this could be of what may be causing it?

Thanks

If you are in a hard water area it is likely to be Calcium Carbonates (scale just like your kettle)

Is the Megaflo heated via a boiler or by electrical immersions ?

Last edited:
Checked your previous posts & it is from the boiler I guess.

What is the temperature settings on the Megaflo thermostat? &
What is the temperature of the hot water coming out of the taps ?

Thanks for your reply. I did a quick reply half an hour ago but it hasn't appeared so I will try again.

I live in a soft water area and the water is heated from a lpg boiler but there is also a immersion element inside the megaflo that hasn't been used for 9 years. I haven't checked the thermostat but the water temperature seems fine.

I am ashamed to say that I haven"t. As the house was a new build I didn't read any of the hand books until a few weeks ago and I realised that it needed a yearly service. I have requested a service and the installers have said they will call the next time they are in my area. I am really trying to get a handle on what might be wrong.

I would think it is the same problem you were having with your taps.

If you are correct (100% you said) & it is calcium sulphate & I remember correctly from my college days, this is dissolved into the rain water that passes through sandstones rocks.

I believe it make the water permanently hard though not soft ?

What area of the country do you live in?

Basically, as others have said, it's calcium carbonate which, in itself, is harmless. It will have built up inside the cylinder and now wee particulates are coming through.

Keep your cylinder temperature at 60° or more and ensure that each and every hot water outlet is run for a few minutes at least once a day for disinfection purposes.

It's not really something that you can deal with I'm afraid.

It certainly has the appearance of calcium carbonate. I started off convinced that it was coming from the cold water supply and I have requested a visit from the water service. If you live in England you will find it difficult to understand how things work or rather don't work here in NI. I am English and it does my head in. Getting things done is close to impossible.

Back to the point. The other day l took the filter off the tap and filled a pint glass of cold water and another of hot water. I left them while I was away for two days and found that the cold glass was clear but not the hot .

It certainly has the appearance of calcium carbonate. I started off convinced that it was coming from the cold water supply and I have requested a visit from the water service. If you live in England you will find it difficult to understand how things work or rather don't work here in NI. I am English and it does my head in. Getting things done is close to impossible.

Back to the point. The other day l took the filter off the tap and filled a pint glass of cold water and another of hot water. I left them while I was away for two days and found that the cold glass was clear but not the hot .

Mate, you're preaching to the choir.

I'm a blow in too. Don't get me going on Chinese takeaways and kebabs!

Whereabouts are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Particulate in hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
Hi can anybody help me with a problem I am having. following a power cut the heating and hot water failed. The boiler would light but it would go...
Replies
Views
Hello, We hade a problem with our hot water not working in one of our bathroom's (all other outlets were working) Therefore we got the...
Replies
Views
I have a 2 pump hot water tank (Flomax 180L fitted in '94) in airing cupboard system with an Ideal classic boiler (downstairs next to an external...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock