Discuss Overseas employment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LittleBlueGuy

Hello all,

I just started a plumbing course to achieve a Level 2 and perhaps Level 3 City and Guilds qualification. I've always dreamt of moving overseas so I'm wondering if any of you could give me information on doing so within the plumbing industry.

Ideally, I'd love to be in Australia or Canada, however long away that may be. Would I be valued/capable with a Level 2 qualification? If so, how many years experience do people tend to rack up before they attempt this move?

Any information, links, stories and expertise would be appreciated.

I Googled this before asking but couldn't really find anything.

Darren

Minimum level 3 with experience in the industry from what I've been told. Even then if you head to Oz you need to update your qualifications because they don't hold our NVQs in very high regard.

minimum 3 years experience after apprenticeship....may really struggle if you are just paying to do a course without formal employment

Hello all,

I just started a plumbing course to achieve a Level 2 and perhaps Level 3 City and Guilds qualification. I've always dreamt of moving overseas so I'm wondering if any of you could give me information on doing so within the plumbing industry.

Ideally, I'd love to be in Australia or Canada, however long away that may be. Would I be valued/capable with a Level 2 qualification? If so, how many years experience do people tend to rack up before they attempt this move?

Any information, links, stories and expertise would be appreciated.

I Googled this before asking but couldn't really find anything.

Darren

wasting your money mate,already too many brit plumbers in oz begging for work,Get onto a welding course,boiler maker,or get on a diesel mechanic course,that will get you over a lot quicker

Forget training as a plumber to move abroad, not in demand anymore and your uk quals qould be as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd. As Sheff Paul said try a different trade.

Unfortunately, I looked into this a while ago and I have to agree with everyone here.

Looked very seriously at NZ and AUS, depending on your age its very difficult. If your young go and don't look back.

Also depends on what you like doing in your free time etc.

If I lived in NZ it would have to be Aukland, that is where the banking industry is for my girl friend, its the one place I wouldn't want to live.

She'd have to work longer hours for less money (much less) with the cost of living equivalent to the UK! Look very carefully at it.

Same in Aus cost of living very high with lower wages.

Cost of living, I'm not even talking cost of the nicer things in life. Its the basics. Everyone in NZ seems to have 2 jobs to make ends meet. Farmers will run B & B and horse trails etc..... Spoke to two pharmacists, both had second jobs, a local lawyer in one place we stayed was a barman.

Go into it with your eyes open and good luck. For us financially it aint worth it. Although part of me is longing to go still...

Forget training as a plumber to move abroad, not in demand anymore and your uk quals qould be as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd. As Sheff Paul said try a different trade.

Well said,Been there done all the oz exams,gas etc,got the t shirt on that one,welders,diesel mechanics and anything mining related can walk into good jobs,but it is fly in fly out,3 weeks at work one week at home..... mind you if i was still over there i would be working full time,not like here (missus to blame on that one )

Well said,Been there done all the oz exams,gas etc,got the t shirt on that one,welders,diesel mechanics and anything mining related can walk into good jobs,but it is fly in fly out,3 weeks at work one week at home..... mind you if i was still over there i would be working full time,not like here (missus to blame on that one )

Came back from Canada in 2005 to keep wife and family happy. Turned out to be a good decision.

If your single why not go over on a visa and work over there to see what the work situation is like, If you're married don't bother the more you enjoy it over there the more you're missus will whinge and moan about missing family and friends that she couldn't be arsed to speak to when you lived in England, She'll then start to feign depression and make you're life a misery until you give in to her demands and move back, once you've spent a fortune relocating back to England she'll then admit to having made a mistake and maybe you should have stayed. Then again maybe other women arent like my missus.

If your single why not go over on a visa and work over there to see what the work situation is like, If you're married don't bother the more you enjoy it over there the more you're missus will whinge and moan about missing family and friends that she couldn't be arsed to speak to when you lived in England, She'll then start to feign depression and make you're life a misery until you give in to her demands and move back, once you've spent a fortune relocating back to England she'll then admit to having made a mistake and maybe you should have stayed. Then again maybe other women arent like my missus.

It was like deja vous reading your post. :)

wasting your money mate,already too many brit plumbers in oz begging for work,Get onto a welding course,boiler maker,or get on a diesel mechanic course,that will get you over a lot quicker

Even better suggestion, get yourself qualified as a lawyer then put yourself up for election to the House of Commons, best job on the planet - no rules to break and get to vote in your own pay, allowances and tax free expenses!

Do I detect a hint of bitterness (and truth) in your post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Overseas employment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I have an elderly neighbour getting quotes who has asked for my help and opinion, I don't really have a good one as it is not my area of...
Replies
Views
Hi stumbled across the forum whilst browsing for plumbing information.. I currently work in the marine industry but in the last year have...
Replies
Views
Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, hope this is ok to post here but I’m really struggling to get any responses from anyone. I am a 36 year old from just outside of...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I am considering retraining and like a few on here I am in my 30s and currently working full time, four days a week. I read a bit...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock