Search the forum,

Discuss One for you commercial guys in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment Toilet_pipe_plan.pdf
Public Ladies toilets having a problem with flow of water to washbasins. The taps are infrared with a solenoid, every morning when taps are tried there is only a trickle and its pulsing, after a few minutes they start to splutter and air is ejected and then a good flow of water. If left for half an hour they are back to a dribble. I have cut a panel in the wall and can see that there is a secondary return attached to the main flow pipe before the first tap, there are four taps in total. My thoughts are that the secondary return is pulling the flow of water away from the taps and if it was rerouted to the fourth tap, then this would solve the problem. I await any input from you more experienced lads. I have attached a pdf drawing of the layout.

What is the hot supplied by and any tmv valve and have you tried turning the hsr off to see if that fixes it ?

ShaunCorbs, Thanks for your response. There are 2 calorifiers in the basement, the toilets are situated on the 4th floor. The cold supply comes from a tank on the roof which is next floor up. There are 2 TMV's each supplying 2 taps and if the hsr is the secondary return, then no I haven't turned that off.

I would also like to add that before these toilets were refurbished everything was working fine.

(Hot secondary return) and always had this problem or just started ?

Hi ShaunCorbs, the toilets are in a department store, they were refurbished 2 years ago and this has been going on ever since. Previous to this they had RADA infrared taps and never had a problem. It was first thought that the taps set up was causing the problem, but they then moved on from that and they seem to have lost their way with it. I know someone in their maintenance department and they asked me to take a look. So, don't you think that it is the siteing of the Secondary return that is causing the problem?

Hi ShaunCorbs, the toilets are in a department store, they were refurbished 2 years ago and this has been going on ever since. Previous to this they had RADA infrared taps and never had a problem. It was first thought that the taps set up was causing the problem, but they then moved on from that and they seem to have lost their way with it. I know someone in their maintenance department and they asked me to take a look. So, don't you think that it is the siteing of the Secondary return that is causing the problem?

If there was no problem before they changed the taps and Pipework was not changed taps at fault (maybe) maybe worth trying one closest (first one on the line) but everything looks fine with the Pipework how it's piped etc

sounds like the pump is sucking back when the taps are open switch the seconday pump of and see if that makes a difference to flow i cant remember if there are speed setting on secondary pumps but if there is try lowering the setting

Last edited:
If there was no problem before they changed the taps and Pipework was not changed taps at fault (maybe) maybe worth trying one closest (first one on the line) but everything looks fine with the Pipework how it's piped etc

So, with the secondary return at the beginning of the run of pipe, that doesn't make any difference to the pull on the flow to the taps. I am going in tomorrow so I will isolate the secondary from the main flow and see what happens. Thanks for your input.

sounds like the pump is sucking back when the taps are open switch the seconday pump of and see if that makes a difference to flow i cant remember if there are speed setting on secondary pumps but if there is try lowering the setting

As above, stevetheplumber, the secondary pump is on a lot of pipe work throughout the building. One thing I have found out is that the hot supply pipe and return feed on the same floor, 2x kitchen sinks, then the ladies toilets,4 washbasins, then a disabled toilet, 1 washbasin,then the gents toilet, 4 washbasins and finally on to a cleaners sink. The kitchen sinks and the cleaners sink on each end of the main run of pipe do not have a problem. All the washbasins in between have the same spluttering problem and these were all part of the refurbishment.

Went to store this morning, there was agate valve on secondary return, which I turned off. I got a good flow through the taps, this leads me to believe that the return has been connected into the wrong place on the primary flow pipe. So if I was to re pipe it to the other end would this then cure the pull back from the taps while keeping a flow of hot water there without pulling off too much water, look forward to some feedback.

Stick a single check valve (to the taps) after the t to the secondary return link

Thanks for that ShaunCorbs, that would be the easiest solution as access is difficult.

Also check the pump speed as you only want enough flow to move the water round slow doesn't need to be fast, or partly close the gate valve if you can't change the speed

I would be looking how the air was getting into the line as well

Just to update, I went in again this morning as I received an email yesterday telling me that the taps were back to spluttering. I managed to get in to the ceiling void above toilets to try and find where the original pipes were coming through. I found them and saw that they had gate valves on them, but they are now behind a tiled wall. On this information I managed to feel the pipes, the flow was hot to the touch, however the return was cold, this now leads me to believe that the gate valve that I found is turned off. I have informed the maintenance team and they are going to cut the tiles out and gain access to the valve. With a bit of luck it could be solved. Thanks for all input given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to One for you commercial guys in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock