Discuss Oil boiler not working - Advice Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rolo28

I have an oil fired central heating system and the boiler no longer wants to work. Boiler/Burner does not even get to the firing up stage. I can hear a noise (like a quiet background humming) from boiler then it switches itself off.

Now over the last few days when this has happened I pressed the re-set button and it fired up Ok. Once fired up, radiators heat ok then it appears to switch itself off again.

Now it does not want to fire up at all.

I checked oil tank and have about 100 litres of kerosene left. Any-one any ideas? - I want to rule anything simple out before I call out an expert. Thanks in advance guys :icon7:

If only 100 litres I'd guess you need more oil.

I appreciate there's 100 litres which should be more than enough, but you'd be surprised at how many times I've come across this and find that a delivery of oil sorts the problem out - at least 9 times out of 10 in my experience.

Thanks Guys - Like the sound of just needing more oil. I'll get more early next week and also arrange for a service. I'll update how I get on.

Thanks Guys - Like the sound of just needing more oil. I'll get more early next week and also arrange for a service. I'll update how I get on.

Can't see it being lack of oil if you didn't run out

Manged to get burner fired up, took a few presses of the reset button. Hopefully that rules out anything major??

Will ring around 2morrow and try to get some-one to service it.

The humming or buzzing noise is a clear indication of the motor trying to turn but unable to . As simong says could be the capacitor but it could also be a worn bearing or slightly worn oil pump causing too much resistance for the motor to turn. Either way as WHPES says get an engineer out you wont be able to sort it out yourself. It is very unlikely to be the fuel because if it was the fuel at least it would try and start before locking out.

Quick update. Service guy out today. Water/Dirt had got into the system (line now cleared and drained) and as a result needed a new Service pump. All working fine now. Thanks for all input.

May want to think about changing my tank at some stage as bottom of tank is a bit sludgey. Got a top -up of oil today as well so hopefully all will be fine now (touch wood)
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil boiler not working - Advice Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Z
  • Question
My oil fired boiler won’t fire up it is in lockout After a power cut my oil feeder is showing out of fuel- it isn’t. And now my boiler is in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a wallstar combi oil fired boiler. We got low on oil a couple of weeks ago but didn't run out. Since we've had our oil delivered...
Replies
Views
Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame...
Replies
Views
G
I have a danesmore 20/25 oil boiler and it is firing up but it’s producing no heat to the water or the radiators My next door neighbour an...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock