Search the forum,

Discuss Oftec first visit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blayedrunner

Hi, have my first visit from my local OFTEC rep on Jan 13th. Says its a business review and have to show around to a house with a oil tank an boiler (doesn't have to be one i have worked on)
Just wondering, any of you guys had this visit recently an what does it entail???

Thanks in advance :)

If he's out like the rse that came to see me be careful, he must have been a traffic warden in a previous life, real jobsworth. Not only wanted to see tank and boiler but rest of property, had a couple of nose to nose minutes arguing the toss about things not even oil related, bit difficult when it was only phase 1 completed.

Make sure you have pl insurance docs, oftec books, cd10/cd11 and a real good installation to show him. Very big on tape measure and distances of tanks, base sizes, ventilation, flue terminations, sleeved oil line and fire valve capillary, insulation. If you're showing him one you have serviced, make sure you can show evidence of notifying customer of any non conformances.

Good luck :)

The one I had was wonderful!!

I asked him a load of questions (well, a few) he answered them and explained things to me. Helped me with my paperwork and put me on the straight and narrow. I'd explained to him before the customer visit that I'd had difficulty in setting the boiler up correctly and this was part of the reason I'd chosen this particular customer as I didn't want to show him an especially easy one. (Then, at the customer's house, he told me how to interpret the readings on my FGA and explained why the readings on the boiler were within limits!)

He was also really polite to my customer and apologised to them both at the beginning and end of the visit and told them I'd passed and had done my job properly.

Then just before he went he asked to look in my van and was well impressed at how neat and tidy it was and said he'd have no hesitation in asking me to service his boiler.

His aim was to stop me worrying and to encourage me to phone him if I had a problem, as opposed to trying to create friction. His purpose was to get people to ask instead of covering up and, therefore, create better standards.

If he were to phone tomorrow and ask to see another, I'd have no worries - apart from the papework!

Take them to one where you know there are lots of non-conformances and you have a great long list of all of them. If you go to one which is pretty much OK they'll be more likely to nit pick for things you have missed.

Is oil boiler installation and servicing realistic to pick up from someone experienced with gas boiler training but with none on oil. I am considering it as hate turning down work but with just 1-2 days training and assessment, it seems like a lot to take in?

I would say that 1-2 days is not enough. When I did mine (admitted with no gas or oil experience) I was told to do a 5 day introductory course to learn the basics and then another 5 day course for the exams.

Presumably like gas, much of what you "learn" has nothing to do with the smelly stuff but much more to do with oil tank sites, Document J (except in Scotland, the Outer Hebrides and Guernsey, but including Jersey and the south eastern corner of the Isle of Wight but not including Shanklin), Health and Safety and working at heights (how to you wall hang an Aga?), BS numbers, CE numbers, etc, etc, etc.

Cheers guys for the responses. Much appreciated. Will just have to see if he is a good un or bad un LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oftec first visit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
My toilet has been randomly doing a small flush. I've had a visit from a Saniflo engineer who has checked the unit. There is no blockage and it is flushing away correctly. He has replaced the non return valve and the solenoid valve but this has not solved the problem. There is a very slow...
Replies
Views
Barbara C
B
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water meter. Then another person called me to schedule a visit and they told me that its not their problem as both the water meter and the leaky stopcock are...
Replies
Views
Hi All, My first visit here in quite a while and it's in part to share the news that I have finally gone over to the dark side! Although my 30 year old Baxi back boiler was still going strong, I've finally succumbed to pressure from Mrs RWD and had a Combi installed. The Heating Engineer that...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock