Discuss nvq's for an oldie in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nlp67

Hi fellas,can anyone help me with this question? l'm now in the position of retraining as a plumber and have found out, that most employers are looking for nvq qual's and not just c&g,the problem l have is that to get nvq l cant afford to leave my current job to work for peanuts to gain the nvq, having four children to provide for a salary drop right now would be madness.Any sensible replys would be greatly appreciated.
Bill.

I’m doing just that at the moment, I’ve just finished an 11 month 6129 at college and I’ve registered self employed in order to try and complete the NVQ...I managed to get onto the Train to Gain programme through the college, but I can’t give up my full time job at the moment either so its going to be a slog of evenings and weekends and the odd holiday..its doable but I’m under no illusion it will be easy

the awarding body for nvqs is C&G's. so by saying "i have a city and guilds" it may very well be an NVQ.
C&G are just an awarding body
i presume you mean they dont want just a tec cert 6129 C&G but also the nvq C&G?
if so you are right.
the final registration on these programmes is march. then it will be a diploma which requires you to be employed

Hi Nip. I would be very conscience of finding employment in the plumbing trade. The training of plumbers has become an industry in its self and made a few providers a lot of money. However i have never seen any data as to how many who receive the the training manage to find permanent employment. What i do know that in my life time, is that changes regarding employed plumbers and large companies has moved to small and self employed. Trying to compete with those plumbers who owing to the lack of house building are now actively looking for posts and jobbing work, makes your quest difficult to say the least.

Its not easy but try looking for industrial Plumbing work. Its usually well paid but not bonus, so its long hours and can be dangerous. But its Plumbing and you can usually keep a decent living standard up with the salary. It can also involve living away from home as well. But it may give you chance to get some experience and look attractive to other employers. Anyway with all the cuts its probably the only area of Plumbing with any jobs left.

It can also involve living away from home as well. But it may give you chance to get some experience and look attractive to other employers.

It may give the chance to get away from the wife and 4 greetin weans for a while:D

Iam in the similiar postition to you nlp, after 14yrs Id love to give up plumbing but cant afford to work for peanuts retraining or getting a job in a bike shop etc.
I hate what I do.

Did you like it to begin with Blackcatgas? Or have you always disliked it? And also, why do you hate it?

Did you like it to begin with Blackcatgas? Or have you always disliked it? And also, why do you hate it?

Il not bore you with my life story Water tight lol...but as a young man I always wanted to do somthing todo with cars, My parents hads other ideas and made me start my A levels, 3 months later I was asked to leave .I then applied to the army to work in the REME Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers during the aplication process I got into trouble with the police so couldnt continue with this career which was a shame and a blessing. At 17 I was doing some casual painting on a building site, sat down for our tea with the plumber and the rest as they say is history. The actual plumbing, pysicaly putting in pipes etc isnt why I hate plumbing although Iam not keen on it, what I really hate is dealing with people, organising things,etc. My dream job would be somthing outside where Iam told what Ive got to do, no one bothers me and I can just get on with it. Any ideas?

Il not bore you with my life story Water tight lol...but as a young man I always wanted to do somthing todo with cars, My parents hads other ideas and made me start my A levels, 3 months later I was asked to leave .I then applied to the army to work in the REME Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers during the aplication process I got into trouble with the police so couldnt continue with this career which was a shame and a blessing. At 17 I was doing some casual painting on a building site, sat down for our tea with the plumber and the rest as they say is history. The actual plumbing, pysicaly putting in pipes etc isnt why I hate plumbing although Iam not keen on it, what I really hate is dealing with people, organising things,etc. My dream job would be somthing outside where Iam told what Ive got to do, no one bothers me and I can just get on with it. Any ideas?

one of those tree butcher people or gardener? no i am taking the **** but i see your point bcg tenants in particler fully **** me off,most of them are work-shy,cant be arsed waste of food types really get you down or the guy that had a go at me today for his yearly service i did not have time to move his roomstat the prat wants to walk in our shoes for a while

Last edited by a moderator:
one of those tree butcher people or gardener? no i am taking the **** but i see your point bcg tenants in particler fully **** me off,most of them are work-shy,cant be arsed waste of food types really get you down or the guy that had a go at me today for his yearly service i did not have time to move his roomstat the ***** wants to walk in our shoes for a while

Youve got it in one Dan, I used to bend over backwards for people, the cutomer is always right etc, I dont anymore, you just end up running around for people for f@@@ all. A tree bucher sounds lika a good idea btw, seriously going to look into a career change.

Youve got it in one Dan, I used to bend over backwards for people, the cutomer is always right etc, I dont anymore, you just end up running around for people for f@@@ all. A tree bucher sounds lika a good idea btw, seriously going to look into a career change.

i hope what ever change in direction you take that it works out but i fully see your point this trade/job gets to you like that it leaves you jaded many times i have come home and whined to the wife when i have been left boiling by a customers attitude/indifference they should post this as a sticky for newbies in to the trade,warning its all ballcocks what you read this is reality

what I really hate is dealing with people, organising things,etc. My dream job would be somthing outside where Iam told what Ive got to do, no one bothers me and I can just get on with it. Any ideas?

I get a bit like that myself blackcat. If it wasn't to keep the guys in a job most customers could go take a running jump. I'm a man of many faces:eek:
I charge a fair rate and give a top job (in copper btw) and fortunately i am in a position where i choose who to work for. Never mind if the customer likes the look of me, if i don't like him (or his attitude) i aint working for them. I would rather watch Jeremy Kyle (i might see someone i know :D) The longer i have been doing this the worse it gets.
The good lady is a sales and marketing manager and can't believe my attitude to customers! Although she deals with them she doesn't have to actually work with them tho and over the years has learned to simply listen and say a few words of comfort:D.
BTW the younger ones are the worst. Too much compare the plumber.com and wouldn't know a good bit of work if it hit them on the head.
10 years or so left and i'm out.

Blackcatgas
What about the shepherding. Loads of hills up this way, go out in April and come back in October. I was speaking to an old acquaintance the other day who has had to sign on the buroo. Was saying there was an ad in the Jobcentre for a trainee gamekeeper. Now there would be a good job;)

Cheers for the words of wisdom Tamz and Dan, Ive had a bad run of jobs and bad customers recently, made mistakes with what Ive took on/how much Ive charged school boy stuff that Iam old enough and wise enough to have known better and as a result I have lost alot of time and money. I just need a change, Iam not botherd about chasing £10000000s a week, just somthing steady, where I can turn up to work ,get stuck in finish at a reasonable hour and go home to my family. Which is why I envy some of theses people who say that thier job is boring and going no where so they want to become a plumber.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackcat we all get bad spells from time to time and where you think fk this i need to get out. Over the years i have been bumped for more than a horse could shyte, come in and kicked holes in the doors got totally legless drunk for days on end threatened to close the business and pay "all you useless bstrds off and get a job paying 50k a year with no worries"(which i could easily do), screamed at my wee darling and kicked the dog:eek:. Honestly if i told you the half of it you wouldn't believe me. I keep going because as much as i moan about it, i do love the job. A bit like coming on here. It is for the trade. I know half on here couldn't spell plumber but if they are doing it do it fkn right.
I have done it all over the years but i go on because this is all i know. It is in my blood and i have lived and breathed (AND MISSED OUT ON MY FAMILY LIFE) the plumbing.
Times may be hard at the moment, probably as hard as i've known. You may be out there trying to compete with the numpties who are charging minimum rate but sit back and chill for a bit and think about it. Think about your strong points and how you can push them.
Pm me if you like.
CC and CCC! They have a lot to learn about the real world.

Sometimes tho a change is as good as a rest and if you think the time is right go for it.

i dont particularly like plumbing but it is my career, i didnt choose it, it chose me. its the only job i could get when i left school. made me a good living though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to nvq's for an oldie in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock