Search the forum,

Discuss No water output from garden tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slickbone

All,

I hope someone can help me with my current issue with regards to my garden tap. Whilst I was washing my car the other weekend, all of a sudden the water supply was completely cut. Please note I have not turned any values within the house. Water does flow around the house as normal, its just that there is no water coming out from the garden tap.

The picture below shows the cold water feed coming from the mains. Arrowed.

The pink arrow below shows the pipe which leads through the wall out into the garden where the tap is situated.

The orange arrow below shows a type of valve, no idea what it is called.

I have moved the black plastic handle to both its extremities and there is still no water coming out from the garden tap.

Is anyone able to tell what has gone wrong or what might need replacing?

Any help is very much appreciated

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 20140420_135250.jpg
    20140420_135250.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20140420_135203.jpg
    20140420_135203.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 70
if no isolation valves have been turned off sounds like your garden tap has a non return valve built in and its failed

gas man,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I cant confirm the garden tap has a non return valve but after reading around, I think it must have as its mandatory.

To fault find what the problem is, do you recommend me just taking off the garden tap to see if the water flows out from where the tap fits in? Is it a case of just using a monkey wrench to remove the garden tap or will i need other tools?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers20140424_201221.jpg

your tap doesn't look like it has a non return valve in it. yes you can unscrew the tap from the wall plate to see if water is getting to the tap, but be prepared to get wet if it is.

Steveb: Appreciate the time you have taken to read and reply to my problem. Ok so I'll unscrew the triangle plate which is mounted on the wall and then do I just twist and turn the plate until it disconnects from the brown pipe? Sorry to be asking something so dumb but Ive never actually done anything like this before and there isn't anyone around to help.

WaterTight: yes its a bit like a stilsons. If you google it and look under images you will find it. Must be a slang term I guess

oops wrote that wrong! I'll just use a monkey wrench to undo the nut on the tap! Its been a long day!

no all you need to do is unscrew the tap itself from the plate that has the copper pipe going into it.

I expect the isolating valve has got stiff and when you are turning the little black handle it is just twisting on the spindle. Undo the screw holding it on and try turning the spindle with a spanner.

steveb/Mike Jackson,

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. I have just attempted to fault find what the problem is.

I removed the garden tap to see if there is any water flow which I found to be none.
Then I undid the screw that holds the plastic black cap in place and turned the spindle with a spanner in all the extremities. Still no water.

I suspect I will need to replace the part arrowed red… What are your thoughts? Its only a new one which was put in December last year.

20140426_114516.jpg

That's an isolator from a filling loop by the looks of it. And yes it has a check valve in it that may have failed. You may find that once replaced you still don't have water if this is the case then the internals have blown out and are lodged in your pipe work leading to the outside tap

gasmanrob,

Thanks for the reply. I cant believe it has failed! Its only been in there since December and Ive only used the outside tap 3 times!!! How is this possible? Are these isolators that prone to failing?

Like you have said its looks like the internals have come away and now lodged in the pipework! Think I'll have to get someone to come round to fix!

Thanks for the help!

That's not the correct part for the job. It will do it but it's not really designed for that sort of usage. It needs to be replaced with an isolating valve and separate double check valve. I normally use a full bore 1/4 turn lever valve as an isolator because it's easier to use and people are more likely to turn it off in the winter.

Gents!!

I can now show you what has exactly failed. You can see the isolator check valve taken apart.

If you look at the internals of the isolator, you can see a white plastic ‘grommet’ that sits inside which has turned and is lodged in the part itself.

There is also a spring inside which has come off from its centerline. Couldn't take a picture because its hard to see.

I would like to thank all of you who have helped me.

A special thanks to gasmanrob who’s judgement was correct in specifying the internals have blown. The pictures show the proof.

Lee from Feztech Plumbing and Heating (07805036826) came along today at short notice and has now replaced the failed part with another isolator which is made from all metal. He was to the point, honest and done the job in an hour.

I highly recommend him if you live in the Leicester area.

Thank you everyone!

20140502_180532.jpg20140502_180554.jpg20140502_180616.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No water output from garden tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock