Discuss nightmare combi repairs! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike_s

Had some real bad ones recently :( I don't usually have much a problem with the diagnosing, I'm much better at that than the actual repair it seems!

It takes a lot of experience not to open a can of worms for yourself if you arn't doing them all the time.

I now know why my Dad doesn't take on as many repairs as most, they just arn't worth your time! Especially when we are often fully booked with installs.

Here's my latest nightmare... Ferroli optimax 31 HE, around 6 years old I think. Pressure gauge not working so customer can only guess than it is at the correct pressure. I drained it down and it stayed on 1 bar. Simple job I thought, wrong! The gauge snapped off inside the pump housing, I had to spend all day getting a new pump with housing and connecting it was a nightmare as the prv, plate heat ex block, exansion vessell are connected into it and the whole thing is just a nightmare to replace. Once finally done I got a leak at the very back and realised I could have connected that o ring connector out of place.

My moral took a hit as I know people who repair combi's all day and can't get into the messes I have been in the last 12 months, I won't be taking one of them Ferroli's apart again any time soon!

Who else takes on a lot of repairs and used to get into a mess at times like me, or who stays away from the major repairs as they are just too much agro!

I only install Worcester and thankfully I find the Greenstars a doddle to take apart, plate heat exchangers, the lot, no problem. Had every bit off them in the training place which built my confidence as well.

I am learning more of what not to touch but I feel I should know better already with 8.5 years experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had some real bad ones recently :( I don't usually have much a problem with the diagnosing, I'm much better at that than the actual repair it seems!

It takes a lot of experience not to open a can of worms for yourself if you arn't doing them all the time.

I now know why my Dad doesn't take on as many repairs as most, they just arn't worth your time! Especially when we are often fully booked with installs.

Here's my latest nightmare... Ferroli optimax 31 HE, around 6 years old I think. Pressure gauge not working so customer can only guess than it is at the correct pressure. I drained it down and it stayed on 1 bar. Simple job I thought, wrong! The gauge snapped off inside the pump housing, I had to spend all day getting a new pump with housing and connecting it was a nightmare as the prv, plate heat ex block, exansion vessell are connected into it and the whole thing is just a nightmare to replace. Once finally done I got a leak at the very back and realised I could have connected that o ring connector out of place.

My moral took a hit as I know people who repair combi's all day and can't get into the messes I have been in the last 12 months, I won't be taking one of them Ferroli's apart again any time soon!

Who else takes on a lot of repairs and used to get into a mess at times like me, or who stays away from the major repairs as they are just too much agro!

I only install Worcester and thankfully I find the Greenstars a doddle to take apart, plate heat exchangers, the lot, no problem. Had every bit off them in the training place which built my confidence as well.
Bad boiler there fella! My mate used to do thier warranty work, he saw 2 year old boilers leaking from every place you can imagine!
I also fit WB and fully accredited, so know the products well....I can't agree with the bit about easy to work on, still got scars from doing the PRV's!

haha glad to hear someone else says they're a bad boiler. Any more trouble and it's getting ripped out for a Worcester. Well they are easy to work on compared to the ferroli optimax he's! Perhaps my opinion isn't as justified as yours as even though we've been installing the greenstars since they came out about 8 years ago, I've never had to do a prv on one! Which I don't look forward to as I know they need to come off the wall. I do pass some repairs on to the manufacturers when I don't fancy taking them on.

WB great range of boilers it is all we fit, but there are some niggles that "should" have been nailed years ago! Sat down with the top man around 2 months ago, and gave him the list, most niggles now sorted... New LXi will be easier to work on for sure.

ferrolis have one place thats the scrap bin personally i find duotec 1 easiest boiler on the market to take apart,some things on a greenstar are not straightforward and poorly thought out

Ferrolis are horrible lucky enough I have not had to work on many around my area, Living not far from worcester everybody wants a worcester because they are made locally ( I didnt realise Germany was local though I wouldnt want to walk to there local pub) also alot of vaillants.

Never had to change a pressure guage but could you not have tried drilling it a bit the levering out with a little screwdriver.

All I do is service and maintenance (I miss doing installs but im not ruining my body for the money most companies pay) I have jobs like this all the time, The more you do the more you get used to it but my confidence does take a massive knock from time to time and alot of customers have heard me swear at their boilers whilst banging my head against it whilst having a bad job.

On the plus side if you have a bad job doing breakdowns it doesnt last as long as if your having a bad job installing.

WB great range of boilers it is all we fit, but there are some niggles that "should" have been nailed years ago! Sat down with the top man around 2 months ago, and gave him the list, most niggles now sorted... New LXi will be easier to work on for sure.

the new worcester model does look good from what ive seen, production line is almost ready to go for full production. I like the fact it has no mounting jig as such. should be a good product. Time will tell of course.

same as any job practice makes perfect anyone doing repairs all day every day can often guess what the problem is before he gets his tools out

Ferrolis are the best boiler in the world for earning wages on repairs or replacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to nightmare combi repairs! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A few years ago I repaired my parents 35 year old toilet with a Dudley Turbo 88 and Syvac aspirator. It's started leaking from the donut I think...
Replies
Views
Hi, i have recently had to do a DIY job on a wall hung toilet as couldn't get a plumber booked. I did the grohe rapid sl frame against a solid...
Replies
Views
Hello, BEFORE I cleaned the system last year with a mains flush. There was a little inky stuff and a bit of sludge at the very end when I emptied...
Replies
Views
Hi. Have you had any problems with osmagold pipe fittings? If so it would be great to hear from you. Here's my experience of Osmagold. A year ago...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys! Can you recommend any good plumbing books? But not the typical plumbing book like changing washers on taps and repairing syphons...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock