Search the forum,

Discuss New toilet into old iron pipe massive gap needing filled with what ???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnandomcg

For the past 10 years we have had an ongoing problem with the connection between out toilet bought new at time and the old iron pipe which leads to drain. The iron pipe has quite a big collar fixed on it and nothing I have seen in merchants or online looks like it xx could fit between the two. The actual iron pipe is behind a brick wall and only the iron collar is inside the bathroom otherwise I would have cut collar off therefor being able to fit adaptor. Replacing all the pipework isn't an option as we are trying to move and I have sunk enough time and money into this house already. But I do need to make this better for potential buyers. The problem was solved up until now with plumbers mail which has constantly sagged eventually and needed reworked. I will also try to post pic. Thanks

yes, you can get an adaptor.

have you tried a proper merchant?
for vertical soil collars i use silicon or cement to fill the void.
otherwise you will need to know the internal bore of the pipe then get a conector to go in it then a standard 4'' one from the pan into that.

Fit the pan connector/ extension directly into the cast pipe, not the collar

Fit the pan connector/ extension directly into the cast pipe, not the collar

The problem I have is unfortunately it's only the collar in the room god knows why they did that when house was built. The iron pipe is behind the brick wall. There is access through a very very small loft above the kitchen which has its own sloped roof but the space is really only big enough for a small child it isn't nearly big enough to take a grinder up and cut pipe there. So my two options are remove all the old pipe which where it is will cause some damage to kitchen and external wall at least as well as the cost or find a suitable solution. I have thought about using a silicone inside the collar where the connection is to seal it and using cement to fill rest but wasn't sure If this would work and it would be a he'll of a mess to fix if it didn't. Will try to post a pic

/storage/ ext5dCard/ DCIM/ Camera/ 20150202_132328. .jpg

Cut the collar off with an angle grinder and stick a pan connector straight into the cast pipe. Wear a mask tho I've done it once without and could taste rust for a few days

Unfortunately I don't have any play room to cut collar off. The collar is literally three quarters in the room the rest is in with the wall. It's just a really crappy situation !!!

I tried posting a picture but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Cut as much collar as you can off so it's flush with wall then grease up a straight flexi pan connector and push it down hole.

Is there an easy way to post pics on here ? I tried above it hasn't worked.

sound like a normal pipe collar were there used to be a leadtail up to the pan probly cement a bit of plastic in and run from that if you cant cut the soil

Uploaded the picture to photo bucket but can't see any way to then move onto here ?

1545120_921470967872523_5494635571152326839_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New toilet into old iron pipe massive gap needing filled with what ???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I need to this cast iron pipe back as my new back to wall toilet won’t fit otherwise. Cutting it back i am going to lose the collar. So what fitting can I get for it I would like a flex as it will easier for me when installing the new toilet
Replies
Views
We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes behind the electrical CU which I'm due to have replaced soon. We are looking to cut the old pipe out, but trying to working out what material it's...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind toilet. There's a concrete patio outside the bathroom, that extends about 10 feet from the wall. I'm considering adding an ADU in the back yard, and it...
Replies
Views
Good evening I've came across 90mm cast iron before and used mcalpine extB (90 to 110 extension) But what I have here kind of bellows out to 108mm internal as you can see in the photos. Is this some sort of conversion to clay which is why their is a bulge? What would be the 'Best' way of...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm reworking our ensuite which is next door to the main bathroom. I want to connect the new toilet into the existing soil pipe which runs directly under it. See the picture below for the layout. Can I simply put a strap boss on to the existing soil pipe or is there anything I should...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock