Discuss New Combi boiler help pls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plummmm

Morning, just wondering if someone could offer an opinion. We are looking for a straight combi boiler replacement (on a budget) and have looked at a few local suppliers so far. I have been investigating on here to get a few ideas. The brands offered so far are pro combi exclusive, Glo Worm, Veissman and Potterton. If looking at a budget, there doesn't appear to be much between them. My question is, as I have 8 radiators and 8 small rooms to heat, would a 24 watt be ok or 30 watt be more suitable. Any suggestions? and does 2k sound like a reasonable price?

On a combi I always look at the domestic hot water flow rate rather than the heating output. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Morning, just wondering if someone could offer an opinion. We are looking for a straight combi boiler replacement (on a budget) and have looked at a few local suppliers so far. I have been investigating on here to get a few ideas. The brands offered so far are pro combi exclusive, Glo Worm, Veissman and Potterton. If looking at a budget, there doesn't appear to be much between them. My question is, as I have 8 radiators and 8 small rooms to heat, would a 24 watt be ok or 30 watt be more suitable. Any suggestions? and does 2k sound like a reasonable price?

Speak to your gas safe registered engineer he might be able to get you a good discount on a better boiler from his suppliers

Cant go wrong with a worcester bosch in my opinion. Not really budget but if it was my house that's what i'd have.

Pro-combi isn't a make, its a brand name for a well known distributor (a supplier of independent merchants), and will be a badged version of another boiler. I think that Ideal might be making them at the moment, but in the past it has been Vokera and possibly others.

There are some good warranty deals around at present - I appreciate that you are on a budget, but the Ideal Independent + (note the plus sign at the end) is reasonably priced and carries 5 a five year warranty. It is a slightly re-engineered version of the more expensive Ideal Logic +. If you leave the "+" off either, then you save a bit of money and get the same boiler with just two year warranty.

Similarly Main boilers are generally a lower-cost option than their parent company's main brands, Baxi or Potterton. 2 years is probably the maximum warranty you will get on a Main.

The market leader (biggest selling) brands are Worcester Bosch and Vaillant. Both have entry level models (Worcester Junior 24i and Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24) but in price terms, they are mid-market. Its a bit like buying an "entry level" BMW or Mercedes - cheap compared to the rest of that range, but still dearer than the equivalent Hyundai or Kia.

As for 24kw or 30kw, as others have said, it will make no difference to your heating (either is more than capable of heating 8 small rooms), but you will notice the difference on the flow-rate of the hot tap, particularly on the bath. Flowrate at a given temperature rise is directly proportionate to the power of the boiler - so the extra 6kw difference between a 30kw and a 24kw model means that the higher output will take proportionately less time to fill a bath.

Tip - if you do go for a long warranty option, be sure to have it serviced annually. If you save a few quid by not bothering with the service, it will cost you 4 years down the line when a part fails and the warranty is invalid because you havent had it serviced according to the manfacturers instructions.

Final tip - every installer has brands they like and brands they hate - usually driven by a pattern of recent experiences, good or bad. On the upside, if you choose an installer that you trust and go with his recommendation, he is likely to understand that product well, may have been on the manufacturers training course, and is therefore more likely to be able to diagnose and fix any niggles. He may also have a relationship with the rep or the local service engineer - all these things tend to work in your favour if there is a problem.

Personally I would go for a proper Ideal Logic +. 7 year warranty if installed before December.

The pro-combi exclusive is in essence the same as an ideal independant, and they're ridiculously cheap but only come with a 2 year warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also ask your installer before he starts if he will do the servicing as well. You want some one who'll look after it as well, there more likely to want to come back if any issues. Personally I'd go for a Potterton Titanium. Vaillant have got a five year warranty deal on the pro at the moment.

Vaillant have got a five year warranty deal on the pro at the moment.

I thought that the Vaillant warranty package was:

1 year on Ecotec PRO - upgraded to 3 years if the installer was a member of the Vaillant Advance scheme
2 years on Ecotec PLUS - upgraded to 5 years if installer is in the advance scheme

Having said that, all the manufacturers are warring over warranties at the moment, so its worth checking at the time of purchase, and checking whether your installer is a member of the manufacturers respective schemes.

Iff you do the course it's five on the plus, two on pro. There doing five on the pro untill the end of December.

Last edited:
Iff you do the course it's five on the plus, two on pro. There doing five on the pro untill the end of December.

I wish they would make their mind up and stick with it! Every time we print a price list, we check the current situation, and then they promptly change it! :(

Cant go wrong with a worcester bosch in my opinion. Not really budget but if it was my house that's what i'd have.

wrong biggest pile of pap on the market and wayyyyy over priced

baxi's 5 year warranty
logic+ 7 year warranty
alpha (with jig) 7 year warranty
veissman 5 year warranty
think sime still has 10 year warranty

Isnt sime ten year warranty just on the plate heat x or something irrelevant. Read tha small print. I agree with you on Worcestors, sooo hard to work on.

why not post your location and you may find a member on the forum could give you a quote and good advice.

am not sure what the warranty covers on the sime to be honest, i have heard that with the ideal and 7 year warranty doesn't cover all

Had this with customer once about viessman, ten warranty on the heat x. In very small print.

wrong biggest pile of pap on the market and wayyyyy over priced

baxi's 5 year warranty
logic+ 7 year warranty
alpha (with jig) 7 year warranty
veissman 5 year warranty
think sime still has 10 year warranty

Agreed.

I think Vaillant are offering 5 year warranties on all boilers for a limited time, for advance installers. Prefer the plus anyway tbh, better specs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I always tend to fit Ideal Logic Plus Mainly the 30kw or the 35kw, a 30kw boiler should be sufficient, this comes with a 7 year warrantee I usually fit magna cleans and ensure the installer flushes the system and puts in inhibitor,if it a straight combi swap 2K should be plenty

Why not have 35Kw just for the 14 litres a minute? The heating load can be adjusted to suit the property and if someone bathes a lot instead of showering or likes to run multiple outlets why shouldn't they benefit from a higher flow rate?

I live in a 2 bed terrace and have a 40Kw combi despite there only being two of us. Are you saying that I should waste my life waiting around for a bath to fill because I've only got two bedrooms or that we can't run two hot outlets at once if we want to?

Personally never fit 24kw combis hw performance isn't good enough IMHO, heating output tends to be the same with some exceptions, and not too great a cost increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Combi boiler help pls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello The heating side of my Ariston Combi A23 has stopped working since a new 3 way valve has been installed. It's been a hugely reliable boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night...
Replies
Views
My boiler constantly bangs after its been shutdown for an hour or so..sometimes it's 5 or 6 getting shallower other times it's a few more 10 to...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater...
Replies
Views
I have a Combi boiler and, a few minutes ago I turned on the hot tap in the kitchen and the water was far from hot. In fact, it was decidedly...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock