Search the forum,

Discuss mixer shower and pump pipe work HELP PLEASE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

normannew

want to fit a mixer shower and pump in my bathroom and just a couple of questions, got a 1.5 bar grundfos niagara pump and thinking of installing under my bath, and what I am hoping to do is tee off my bath hot tap pipe (22mm) that comes from HW cylinder and tee off my mains fed cold tap then fitting a pressure reducing valve between the tee and pump inlet so it doesn't drop pressure to my bath tap, doing it this way will save a lot of pipe work from CW tank in loft and from HW cylinder in airing cupboard, will I have any problems doing it this way?

HI Normannew and welcome
in my opinion whilst your plans may save you time and effort its definately not the correct way to install this pump always install your pump as per manufacturers instructions with dedicated supplies to the pump also its wise to install it where it can be easily acessed for
maintenance . Good luck:) regards turnpin

hi normannew what you're suggesting would save you a lot of work but it would not be correct. the pump needs a dedicated feed for both hot and cold as turnpin has already said also the pump needs to kept relatively cool so under the bath wouldn't be a good place unless you're going to leave the bath panel off. the pump really needs to be situated at the base of the hot water tank in the airing cupboard as per the manufacturers instructions, fitting it anywhere else will probably invalidate the guarantee.

with putting the pump in airing cupboard would have to go back up into the loft from the outlets on the pump (can't go under floor from airing cupboard to bathroom as I have a tiled bathroom floor that I don't want to rip up) across the loft roof trusses and down the bathroom stud wall where mixer shower will be positioned, note my pipes I will be running will still be lower by a foot of the bottom of cold tank will this be detrimental to anything by going all the way back up to loft pump performance, flow of water etc

with putting the pump in airing cupboard would have to go back up into the loft from the outlets on the pump (can't go under floor from airing cupboard to bathroom as I have a tiled bathroom floor that I don't want to rip up) across the loft roof trusses and down the bathroom stud wall where mixer shower will be positioned, note my pipes I will be running will still be lower by a foot of the bottom of cold tank will this be detrimental to anything by going all the way back up to loft pump performance, flow of water etc

Welcome to the world of a proffesional plumber, try it your way though it will probably work (though not as good as it should).

Welcome to the world of a proffesional plumber, try it your way though it will probably work (though not as good as it should).

"try it my way" with a pressure reducing valve on mains cold then to the pump and hot feed on my bath to the pump? is the only problem doing it this way the pump overheating under the bath? or would something go wrong with the way I want to plumb it? I would've thought my airing cupboard would be warmer than under the bath

Norman, you have been given the correct advice by everyone but clearly seem to want to go ahead with your method anyway. Here is my view.
If a plumber connected it in the way you describe he would rightly be called a cowboy because its a lazy bodge method of adding a pump.
It will work... but if someone turns on another tap or other water outlet while the pump is in use you risk starving the pump of water, this will cause it to overheat and ruin the seals.
If you have any problem with the pump, the manufacturer will say the warrenty has been invalidated

"try it my way" with a pressure reducing valve on mains cold then to the pump and hot feed on my bath to the pump? is the only problem doing it this way the pump overheating under the bath? or would something go wrong with the way I want to plumb it? I would've thought my airing cupboard would be warmer than under the bath

Why would you want to reduce the mains pressure cold feed only to run it to the pump to increase the pressure again. I take back what I said, dont do it your way, it will end in tears and expense.

hi, stuart turner pumps have a dedicated pump installation advise line which has saved many a plumbers headaches, give them a call on 0844 98 000 97 and you will get the advice from the manufacturers point which im sure will be similar to all the above.

Norman, you have been given the correct advice by everyone but clearly seem to want to go ahead with your method anyway. Here is my view.
If a plumber connected it in the way you describe he would rightly be called a cowboy because its a lazy bodge method of adding a pump.
It will work... but if someone turns on another tap or other water outlet while the pump is in use you risk starving the pump of water, this will cause it to overheat and ruin the seals.
If you have any problem with the pump, the manufacturer will say the warrenty has been invalidated

I did want to go ahead with it that way because that is easier, but also want to do it right, was just weighing up pro's and cons for doing it that way

Why would you want to reduce the mains pressure cold feed only to run it to the pump to increase the pressure again. I take back what I said, dont do it your way, it will end in tears and expense.

I was going to reduce mains pressure then put it through pump to balance hot and cold, as I'm not a plumber didn't know if this was right but all of you have helped me come to conclusion that I need to put pump in airing cupboard, but will have to run outlet pipes from pump back up to loft and then down my bathroom wall just hope I don't lose too much pressure that way, outlet pipes will still be run below cw tank height

that's exactly how i ran my pipes to the shower no problems with loss of power or temperature.

normannew;tee off my mains fed cold tap will I have any problems doing it this way?[/QUOTE said:
i believe you will be contravening Water Regulations and be liable to prosecution, as it is illegal to pump mains water. power showers generally have independent H + C supplies from CWS + HWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to mixer shower and pump pipe work HELP PLEASE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock