Search the forum,

Discuss microbore pipes totally corroded under carpet + poss damp problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

homebuyer

Hi everyone - I am looking for some advice as a first time buyer.

I am currently mid-way through purchasing a bungalow built 1965. When i viewed the property I knew there was some damp in the bedroom and slight mould growth on the wall and the agent advised this was from condensation as the house had been empty 10 months. On receiving my survey, it was suggested that the damp was caused by ground levels under the house so I went for another visit yesterday.

When I lifted the carpet in one bedroom (which is something surveyor would not do) and it was damp and I could see that the microbore pipes running under the carpet were bright green and completely corroded. The radiator itself also shows signs of rust on the paintwork.

I am now uncertain if the damp/mould is in fact being caused by leaking pipes or, and is not a rising or penetrating damp problem. On the other hand, could structural damp have corroded the pipes? Is it usual for microbore pipes to corrode in this manner? So many questions!

I do not think the GCH is in working order since the boiler looks ancient and there are storage heaters installed in the house. If this is the case, wouldn't the system have been drained in which case the carpet would not still be damp? The agent has tried to mislead me into thinking the GCH is fine but on the sellers questions the vendor has indicated that it is "not known" if it is working and does not know the last time the boiler was serviced. If the pipes are corroded - the system is clearly not working - even I can see that!

Can anyone offer some insight into what might be happening here - I am totally confused!

Many thanks in advance

get a gsr engineer in to inspect the ch boiler he/she will advise the state of play,in regards to the corrosion yes it could be damp causing it,they could also be leaking it could be down to no protection on the minibore causing the problem they should be denso taped in the floor mini bore has a very thin wall

yes, copper pipes do corrode esp if laid in concrete. The system is nearly 50 yrs old! , the system has been drained... into the carpet by the sounds of it.
This has got to be bargaining (sp?) point on the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to microbore pipes totally corroded under carpet + poss damp problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and screed floor. There is a gas servile pipe under the floor which enters the property below the joists at the front of the house and comes up under the...
Replies
Views
C
I live in an ex local authority end terrace house. I am unsure if I have an underground leak from a water pipe? Scottish Water tell me they can't help as there is no loss of water pressure and it's beyond the pavement. The tarmac at both corners are often damp, the front corner looks like the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Recently I began to smell damp in my boiler cupboard. I can see there is a lot of blue and white corrosion on the copper pipes and I can see they are slowly dripping. On looking at the cupboard under the kitchen sink - same thing. Pipes very blue and corroded with slow dripping. The house is 4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock