Discuss Megaflo eco pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ifmhome

New system installed - static pressure was 4bar but turns out dynamic is only 1bar - so system doesnt deliver when more than one outlet open. 2 solutions - break tank or accumulator - seen many views on the web, from an efficiency point of view, which would be the best appraoch to solving the problem (5 bed house, all ensuite) ?
Cheers

Are you sure all valves are open?
Try doing a flow rate and working pressure test as close a poss to incoming main

Thanks for your reply - system has been double and triple checked, and water board confirmed also confirmed pressure
Cold supply increased to 22mm, but turn on w/machine when shower is running and the shower stops ...

Then you have 1 full stop answer and one punt

1 is to fit break tank and booster set

2 is to fit accumulator

Agreed - the tank and pump will fix it, but with the cost and noise of running a pump

Accumulator is silent and practically maintenance free - it wont increase the 'pressure' but will up the flow rate - do you think this is not really the solution ?

With 4 bar static, it sounds more like a flow problem. Even at 2m head (0.2 bar), the old tank-fed, 3/4 supplies gave adequate flow to a bath and basin tap.

I would firstly confirm material, size and length of incoming main. Check flow/rate at close to stop tap as possible, making sure stop tap in pavement is on full. The minimum flow you should get is 25/30 litres per minute - hold a black bucket under tap and time - it should hit the 10litre mark on the bucket in 20 seconds.

I have seen kinks and blockages on incoming mains that restrict flow.

1 bar dynamic pressure is adequate, but the pipework, fittings and unknowns are restricting flow.

Stopcock is 75m from property at end of long driveway and is seized - water co is replacing next week, which as you say may fix the problem, but as legally 1 bar is enough, I am not hopeful

Make sure stop and other valves are full-flow if possible. For material, check the main isn't galvanised steel - this could have been replaced post internal stop-tap, but still in use underground. When the water board arrive, make sure you are present to ask them questions on the size and material of the main.

Showers and taps should be suitable, even if they are considered high pressure - 0.5bar min and 1bar + would give more than satisfactory performance. High pressure terminal fittings are self restricting, which indicates the taps you have, may be low pressure (hence require larger flow rates to perform the same way as before conversion of system.

If its the main that is found to be blocked or undersized, then the 75m is too long to replace main (unless its galv steel, astbestoss or lead) - so an accumulator or break/cistern would probably be more suitable (see grunfoss they do a break cistern kit).

Also replace stop tap for full flow, and fit flow balancing inserts on large-flow taps (bath-taps).

Last edited:
Hi All

I have now identified the problem after having a large hole dug - incoming mains water is on a pvc 1/2 pipe - so the flow is too restricted for ther Megalflo to work properly. Installer should have checked this, but didnt

Unfortunately I suspect this is the case for the full 120m run from the street stopcock - so as I see it I have 3 options :

- dig up the garden and install a 32mm pipe (expensive)
- install a break tank and pump (noisy with running costs)
- install an accumulator (will this really increase the flow rate to the Megaflow)

Its not the sort of job I can do my self and the plumber who installed the Megaflo has done a 'runner'

Which option would you choose ?

Any recommendations for installers in Potton area ?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Megaflo eco pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a (somewhat, I hope...) competent DIYer and just want to get some advice if my suspicion on a problem we're having is correct...
Replies
Views
Looking for a plumber to install a tank and pump to overcome low supply issue. I have been recommended to use the DAB system...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I've inherited a job that's the customer has spent a small fortune on and needs rectifying. So the layout is as follows. System boiler...
Replies
Views
All, I'm trying to solve a water pressure issue and I'm not sure the best way to approach the situation. I have 2 bathrooms: A family...
Replies
Views
Back