Discuss Mapp or propane? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
tbh went off mapp years ago it was killing the first rothy super fires or what ever they were called then just stayed with propane never had any issues

I used propane for 35 years. Recently bought a MAP gas torch.: Its brilliant. Joints flow quicker, but do have to be careful not to over heat. Verdict is: more reliable and much quicker. Just have to get used to it. My son has just started out in the plumbing industry and has been practicing using MAP gas. The results are, that he can solder joints better than I ever could at his stage of learning. May be he will be a better plumber than me then, or the gas is much better to use?

The first soldered joints I ever did was with my Grandad's paraffin powered pump-up Sievert blowlamp when I was about 12. I remember him showing me how to make wiped lead joints. The flame was much larger than a gas blowlamp.

Mapp, it's hotter. The whole point of a blow torch is to get things hot quickly. It's a no brainer!

If you're learning, learn with Mapp, and you'll never have to take the leap from propane.

i used both regulary for a while and found i could make a neater, better looking joint using propane. with mapp its very easy too over heat a fitting. but at the end of the day there both perfectly capable and its just what you get used too

mapps better outdoors in cold or windy weather when doing gas lines.
if your on price work, 400 joints an hour use mapp.
cost more though.

propane- i personally feel like I have more control.

I can't get along with Mapp

propane, u can easily get too hot with map.
unless you regularly solder 35/42/54mm copper tube, then you wanna bigger burner!

propane, u can easily get too hot with map.
unless you regularly solder 35/42/54mm copper tube, then you wanna bigger burner!
Totally agree larger copper needs much more heat upto 28 with propane anything above its mapp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mapp or propane? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock