Discuss main water upgrade .......... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

O

Old Account

Hi Lads,

Could anybody tell if I am allowed to upgrade a mains water supply with 25mm plastic from outside the new mains stopcock ( which is on the footpath ) to the staircase at the property? its basically a straight run of 7-8m? the customer has got already the new stopcock put in at the footpath but they did not upgrade towards the property.4

For any help I would be happy.

Kind regards,

Ron

Hi Lads,

Could anybody tell if I am allowed to upgrade a mains water supply with 25mm plastic from outside the new mains stopcock ( which is on the footpath ) to the staircase at the property? its basically a straight run of 7-8m? the customer has got already the new stopcock put in at the footpath but they did not upgrade towards the property.4

For any help I would be happy.

Kind regards,

Ron
Think you might have to be WRAS approved mate. But I could be wrong?

If it was a new supply you would have to give notice but so long as it goes back in between 750 & 1350mm deep and it is just a replacement for existing smaller one it will be OK.
You have done your Water Reg's haven't you Ron ?

That was my concern. So what's the procedure for that bit?

Get hold of highways department and submit a form normally takes about 2 weeks they come out and dig the hole and then refill once your finished

If it was a new supply you would have to give notice but so long as it goes back in between 750 & 1350mm deep and it is just a replacement for existing smaller one it will be OK.
You have done your Water Reg's haven't you Ron ?
I was just thinking of connecting onto the existing mains water stopcock which has been already installed and I just wanted to run a bigger pipe instead of lead. I would not install a new main water at 5he street but Donne t onto it and run a new pipe to the house

I was just thinking of connecting onto the existing mains water stopcock which has been already installed and I just wanted to run a bigger pipe instead of lead. I would not install a new main water at 5he street but Donne t onto it and run a new pipe to the house
Thats fine, it won't improve the pressure / flow a great amount but will get rid of the old lead.

It should increase the flow significantly, aren't all Water Company stopcocks 3/4" (stand to be corrected).
So replacing 1/2" lead with 25mm MDPE is about double the cross section - done a load of them many moons ago.

cant install onto the stop tape outside as you cant dig a hole in the countys pavements

Yes I agree Shaun, up here in the NE most of the WC stopcocks are bang up against the boundary wall so it's easy to do a little tunnelling and connect as Chris mentions in #9.

correct but you could have a hefty bill from the council if you cause any sinkage around the stop tap

Reply to main water upgrade .......... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor...
Replies
Views
Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all - hoping to get some advice here on a plumbing issue in our house. When we are showering / filling the bath and another appliance draws...
Replies
Views
Azonic
A
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Currently suffering from poor internal flow rates near the internal 20mm stopcock of 10L/min. Want to upgrade system to either...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock