Search the forum,

Discuss Magnaclean leaking. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

finn

Hi, a recently fitted Magnaclean filter has started leaking and affecting the pressure of the new boiler. I can't seem to contact the fitters (surprise, surprise!) to ask for advice. Is it ok to unscrew the cap and apply some ptfe tape to the thread and would I have to bleed the Magnaclean afterwards?
Thanks, Gary.

from memory the cap has a rubber washer, so isolate the feed and return into the filter, unscrew the cap and ensure all the mating edges are clean, then screw the cap back on and tighten with the spanner provided, tight but dont force things and open both the valves and check the vent valve is tight.

Thank you very much for your advice, I will have a go tomorrow, Gary.

As old plumber says
isolate ,you should have been left spanner that fits top
maybe just needs a slight tighten,put still isolate just to be on safe side,if you do need to remove and clean there is a little vent on top to allow refill of water in unit

Thanks old plumber and puddle, I followed the advice and the Magnaclean seems fine now but all that leaking has left some radiators not working, presumably due to air. I've bled them all with air coming out the rad at the top of the house which was heating up but I'm getting water from 4 that are cold, 1 in bathroom on top floor (same level as rad that let out air) and 3 downstairs. Can you 'force' the blockage along to a radiator and then bleed? And what are the 'canisters' that dangle from the pipes in the loft? They are metal, about 5 or 6" long and have a red cap/valve.
Thanks in advance, Gary.

You can get rid of airlocks by shutting off all the rads but the one whic doesn't work, cranking the pump to max setting and this should blow the air into the rad.

Don't know what you mean by metal canisters but perhaps you mean these Honeywell EA122A1002 Automatic Air Vent
which is an auto air vent but should be mounted vertically.

Thanks, will try closing the hot rads down and turning up the pump. The 'canisters' are what you suggested but are not upright.
Thanks again.

Sorry people, I've not messed with plumbing much (as if you couldn't tell) but I've looked at the auto air vents and found that they are both hanging down off plastic, grey piping. I need to know if it's ok to carefully twist the t-joints up while the pipes either side stay in their current positions, this is because they are very close to some other joints that won't allow me to twist the pipes round at the same time. Hope that makes sense!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the joints have obviously slipped down which is why the air hasn't been vented. You're extremely lucky it didn't cause a flood as some makes will spew water if not vertical.

You can rotate the fittings to be vertical but they MUST be secured in the vertical position in order to work properly and prevent a flood!.

Hello again, the Magnaclean is still fine but I can't shift the airlock! The cold rads heat up individually when I turn all the others off but then cool down when the others are turned back on. Up in the loft, one main pipe gets hot but the other stays cool, they both drop down to one rad which heats up when all others are shut down but only when the TRV is open. The strange thing is the pipe leaving the TRV stays cool. I guess this is where the problem lies. Any ideas? Gary.

maybe now you need to do a bit of balancing of the sytem if you have changed rad valve positions,close down rads that are getting hot slightly to pump water round system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Magnaclean leaking. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock