Search the forum,

Discuss Loud rumbles/banging from boiler and no hot water / heating (with audio) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

ben341

Hi there,

We have a Worcester 24i Junior Combi boiler. The house is rented and I have no information about service or installation history, the agent don't have this info. I do know the house was empty for 6 months, including when it was cold around last xmas/Jan although frost mode was enabled.

Hot water has been fine since moving in 3 months ago. I set heating timer a couple of weeks ago, and the heating kicked in for the first time last Saturday afternoon while we were out. We did come home to a warm house.

However on Saturday evening when trying to run a bath the boiler started to make loud noises:

Bubbling
Low volume groaning

Occasionally, perhaps once every two minutes it will make incredibly load groaning noises. They are hard to describe but tend to make you jump and if it isn't too dramatic, it reminds me just of the noise the machines made in the Tom Cruise version of War of the worlds.

I have attached an audio clip https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ne4dne17buznmi/boiler-audio.mp3?dl=0
(you don't have to create an account, the file is about 2.3mb)

In the video I turn the hot tap on twice after the half way mark, but no hot water is produced.

Last Saturday I turned the boiler off after failing to get it working, and dripping water from the rivet in the case towards the bottom right, rivet nearest the wall. I had previously bled the radiators, and got a little air from one of them, but nothing significant.

We called the letting agent on Monday, they sent someone Mon afternoon to look at it. He said it was just prssure (about 0.7 bar - this had not reduced when I bled the radiators) and demonstrated how to let water in. He did not do the pressure, but turned it on at .7 bar for 20 min and it behaved perfectly.

We increased this to 1.5bar, turned the boiler on, it made some noises Monday night so switched it off again. My partner turned it back on Tuesday morning and she said it didn't make any noises, behaved normally with heating and hot water and has done so until tonight, where it is as recorded, heating won't come on and water won't heat up.

The end of this clip is the boiler cutting out, and the reset light flashing, which is what happens over and over.

As this appears to be an intermittent issue, what I would like really is whether I should be just calling the letting agent again and insisting someone looks at it, and perhaps some ideas to give the engineer. As it gets colder and I have small children I'm concerned the boiler will get worse, and definitely don't want to use it if it is dangerous and/or continuing to just try using it will cause it to fail unnecessarily.

Please help, I would very much appreciate your expert thoughts!

If it does help, one extra thing is I noticed the radiators do bang a little when first coming on, as if they need bleeding, however there is no air in any of them, I checked again tonight. I think the whole CH system is reasonably new within the past few years. The radiators and boiler were the only things that were clean when I took the house!

Thanks again
Ben

if the boiler pressure is above 1 and below 1.5 (cold) your fine other than that sorry to say you need a gas safe eng to have a look phone the letting agents up

OK thanks. I guess what I also want to know is, is it safe for me to keep trying it and try and get it into a working mode again until someone can look at it (so I don't have another weekend without hot water) or should I switch it off and leave it off?

OK thanks. I guess what I also want to know is, is it safe for me to keep trying it and try and get it into a working mode again until someone can look at it (so I don't have another weekend without hot water) or should I switch it off and leave it off?

theres enough safety devices inside but if your that concerned turn it off

Thanks, as long as it isn't negligent to keep trying to get it going then that's what I will do.

When I was decorating the house before I moved stuff in, I did balance the radiators. The heating worked then and I didn't notice any noises but was only on long enough for me to know which order they heated up in. I then closed all the lock valves and opened the first one by 3/4 turn and then the rest in order by about an additional 1/4 turn (I don't have a thermometer).

As I didn't test the system before this I don't know if it is related. Is it possible I have restricted the flow or something similar by doing this which would cause such behaviour? Is it worth my while to fully open all the lock valves to test?

I think I can get the hot water to work reliably as long as I switch the CH off. I'm not going to keep trying to get the heating to work there is quite a lot of water coming out of it now from that rivet location. I was surprised the engineer on Monday didn't think a leak was significant so perhaps I'm over-reacting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud rumbles/banging from boiler and no hot water / heating (with audio) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame to call for heat, and the receiver seems to be working ok with green light, but heating is just not firing. I really am not sure what the problem is...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated heat source and a oil boiler. The problem the hit water cylinder doesn't have a stat thus why the hot water is roasting hot but there is a pipe stat on...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at the timer panel, it works but it also heats up all the radiators above ground floor. I have to close them individually to stop this. The rads aren't...
Replies
Views
M
I've got a heating boiler which heats up the water in a tank located in a cupboard upstairs and then from there I get hot water & hearing. I get hot water ok but the heating doesn't come on when turning the thermostat to a higher temperature. I've got a 2 way motorized diverter valve which would...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock