Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for work + questions about the plumbing business in Britain in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamieBuckley

Helllo

I'm a 22 year old who came here from Sweden a couple of months ago and I'm looking for a job within plumbing.

I've studied plumbing & heating in school for 3 years (upper secondary education) and after that I've been working as a plumber (apprentice) for another 2 years.

I would have had my certificate by now if it wasn't for my sloppy boss who (when I joined his firm) signed the wrong documents and forgot to hand in
some other important papers to the building union in Stockholm, where they keep a track record of all apprentices and because of this
the building union simply told me I had to redo a whole year of my apprenticeship.

Shortly after I realized this, I fell out with my boss and quit my job. I went to England to spend some time with my family (my dad's British) but I've now decided to stay.

So, my question for you guys is:

Where can I go from here? I've been looking for some plumbing jobs in London but most of em of course, require a full certificate.
Now in Sweden as an apprentice you would earn about £8 - £12/ hour if you've finished your 3 years of studying which I have.
When I look at plumbing apprentice jobs in England (to be able to finish my education & get my certificate) I've realized that some pay you around £80 A WEEK....
Which of course is not enough when I'm living on my own.

I worked for 2 years on larger construction sites including some penthouse projects in Stockholm, so I feel quite safe when I'm working on new build projects or whatever the English word for it is (building new houses) I know pretty much everything there is to know.

I don't however feel I'm experienced enough to do service/maintenance work ex. looking for errors on boilers that wont work, finding out why the heat wont come on in someones house.

I would love working on the high rise projects down in London, all the new skyscrapers being built but I recon it would be hard getting a job there without any certificate.

Just wondered if anyone in here would know where to turn? Maybe like a plumbers union or something that I could speak to.

How to find work without a certificate, maybe just walk around construction sites handing out my CV?

Thankful for any tip

Take care !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for work + questions about the plumbing business in Britain in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock