Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for work + questions about the plumbing business in Britain in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamieBuckley

Helllo

I'm a 22 year old who came here from Sweden a couple of months ago and I'm looking for a job within plumbing.

I've studied plumbing & heating in school for 3 years (upper secondary education) and after that I've been working as a plumber (apprentice) for another 2 years.

I would have had my certificate by now if it wasn't for my sloppy boss who (when I joined his firm) signed the wrong documents and forgot to hand in
some other important papers to the building union in Stockholm, where they keep a track record of all apprentices and because of this
the building union simply told me I had to redo a whole year of my apprenticeship.

Shortly after I realized this, I fell out with my boss and quit my job. I went to England to spend some time with my family (my dad's British) but I've now decided to stay.

So, my question for you guys is:

Where can I go from here? I've been looking for some plumbing jobs in London but most of em of course, require a full certificate.
Now in Sweden as an apprentice you would earn about £8 - £12/ hour if you've finished your 3 years of studying which I have.
When I look at plumbing apprentice jobs in England (to be able to finish my education & get my certificate) I've realized that some pay you around £80 A WEEK....
Which of course is not enough when I'm living on my own.

I worked for 2 years on larger construction sites including some penthouse projects in Stockholm, so I feel quite safe when I'm working on new build projects or whatever the English word for it is (building new houses) I know pretty much everything there is to know.

I don't however feel I'm experienced enough to do service/maintenance work ex. looking for errors on boilers that wont work, finding out why the heat wont come on in someones house.

I would love working on the high rise projects down in London, all the new skyscrapers being built but I recon it would be hard getting a job there without any certificate.

Just wondered if anyone in here would know where to turn? Maybe like a plumbers union or something that I could speak to.

How to find work without a certificate, maybe just walk around construction sites handing out my CV?

Thankful for any tip

Take care !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for work + questions about the plumbing business in Britain in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial market (i.e. tendering to main contractors flats etc). My background is a commercial manager, I use to do plumbing years back so technically I would not...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse moves to the Midlands from Bridgewater. Meanwhile I'm doing my NVQ level 2 in plumbing. The goal of the course is Renewable Energy Engineer. I'll...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am Aiden longster and I am looking for some plumbing work. I have just completed my level 2 diploma and either looking for a level 3 apprenticeship or some work
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take me out a couple days of the week to help me get more experience. I did 1 week of work experience at equans doing maintenance but i wouldn’t mind...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock